Newbie Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lmenapace

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, I've recently decided to make the jump for FW to a FOWLR setup. Due to financial restraints I would like to utilize as much of my existing equipment as possible. I'll be using a 29 gallon aquarium for my build. I'm planning on keeping my bio-load light and plan on housing a pair of Percula Clownfish, a cleanup crew & possibly a single (hardy) Goby. I will be using roughly 25 pounds of reef saver rock and aragonite sand which I plan to seed.
I purchased the following powerhead for flow:
https://www.amazon.com/SUN-JVP-110-528GPH-Wave-Maker/dp/B00CFW82PG
I will not be able to purchase a protein skimmer with my initial setup so I plan on utilizing my FLUVAL 205 canister filter for the time being. I understand I'll have to keep up with water changes and filter maintenance. I guess my real question is:
What is the best media setup for a filter canister? Should I try to incorporate biological, mechanical & chemical?
I've done some research on my own...but can't really get a solid answer, so any suggestions would be helpful! Thanks everyone!

Great! Thank you for the tip! I’m assuming a refractometer vs hydrometer is more accurate?
Also in regards to the filter media...should I ditch the carbon for something else?

Refractometers are much more accurate. A hydrometer can be thrown off by simply having air bubbles attached to the arm.
As for filter media, there isn't a need to run anything until you find a need to run anything.

Back
Top Bottom