sexing Angels.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

guppylove

Aquarium Advice Regular
can any one give me tips on how to sex Angel fish as i have got 2 and can not make out what sex they are any help will be much obliged.. :)

edit, fixed spelling of Angel :)

When they become sexually mature they will start going in and out of "heat" for lack of a better term. When they are in the breeding mode you will notice a small tube protruding from the fish near the anus. The male will have a short thin pointy tube, the female will have a thick, longer blunt tube. It's hard to know unless you have 2 to compare with each other. You will also notice the female's belly swelling near the bottom of her body as she begins to fill with mature eggs. Good luck.

thanx for that i will keep a good eye on them and see what i can make out thanx again for your help...good luck with you fishkeeping :)

Re: sexing angles.

guppylove said:
can any one give me tips on how to sex angle fish

The girls tend to be the "acute" ones. Whereas the guys are always "right." Sorry if my answer is too obtuse :p

*starts laughing* Good one ScottS

jasonit is correct; its really impossible to sex FW angelfish without seeing their "bits". Heck, I have 5, 2 of which are starting to pair off (in the initial "I'll beat you up stage") and I can't tell which is which. In fact, they could both be female!

To get my Angels "in the mood" I will generally feed live food for a week or so, then make a 50% water change. This doesn't always work, but it frequently does. The live food gives them good conditioning, and the large water change simulates the rainy season in the Amazon, which is whn they naturally breed. This part doesn't help with sexing, but you can tell by color that they are getiing ready. the colors go really vibrant, and they get some irridescence in the fins, sorta shinyblue streaks...

I have had 3 attemps with Angel fish, the first time i set a tank up and introduced 3 angels. Would you believe it all male, it was like ww3 as they got older. The second time i tried it about 4yrs later i did the same and introduced 3 angels, well things look great they all got on really well. Then it started to happen eggs everywhere, filter, tank glass, plants everywhere. They turned out to be 3 females, but this time i took a gamble and went on the hunt for another angel the same size as the ones i had. I found one introduced it and Yippeeeeeeeeeeeee i managed to find a male.

The moral of this story is..........Male and male won't get on, female and female will act and breed like a pair, but the eggs don't get fertilized. Male and female Success.

I have just set up a 56 gal corner tank in the store, filled it with plants, C02 kit the works. I have just introduced 6 small angel, fingers crossed.

nice one terry that was much easy for me to understand i have only got 2angles so i dont know what the out come will be but they get on so that mite be a good sign...

guppylove.
Glad to be of some help, as you can see Angels can be a nightmare to sex. But i wish you luck with yours and will keep my fingers crossed for you.

ScottS said:
The girls tend to be the "acute" ones. Whereas the guys are always "right." Sorry if my answer is too obtuse :p

Lol, woke my gf up with my out loud laugh from that

This thread is from 2003. Please limit posts to being on topics and involving threads newer than 9 years old (preferably within the last couple of months).

Back
Top Bottom