Sexing blue rams.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

britt190

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi folks. Well this is my very first post. I'd just like to pick your brains for a second. I had 2 blue rams. One of which died recently. They weren't paired off as I'd only had them a few weeks and to be honest not even sure of the sex of them both but I'd like to know the sex of my remaining ram so I could get a friend as it's swimming around looking rather lonely. Iv got a feeling she's a girl but if anybody knows for sure and could confirm for me that would be wonderful. Thanks folks. She's not a great poser either so here's a few semi decent pics I could get. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399033872.729402.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399033895.991660.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399033743.167459.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399033802.649210.jpg

Females tend to have pinker bellies than the males and males tend to have more of a yellow belly (excuse the pun) also appear a lot more colourful once matured and settled in! Always struggled keeping these fish as they are extremely sensitive to change best of
Luck brother

Thanks for that. Iv been googling pics and from my best judgement and what Google says I think it's a female. Just thought I'd ask other people to make doubly sure. Thanks for that. :)

Female for sure.

Keep in mind just because you get a male doesn't mean they will get along. Rams pair for life.

My male was torn up too when his wifie died but it lasted about 4 days then back to his normal self. I won't be adding a new female because I feel he may hurt her. He is fine on his own.

Yea I have considered they may not get along. I don't think the pair I had really coupled up. They were never together and always at opposite ends of the tank. To be honest I think they were both females. If I do go ahead and get a male do you think 190L is enough distance for them to do there own thing if they don't get along.

Yea there's plenty of plants to hide in and logs to hide behind. My little girl likes the front of the tank so I think thel be ok if they don't get on. There's plenty of space for one of them to go. It's a corner tank as well so there's a few more shaded areas.

Back
Top Bottom