sexing honey gouramis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DrewQ522

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone, just looking for some help sexing my 2 new gouramis. From the research i have done previous to posting, i would think that i have 2 females because of the stripe on both. however i thought i swore the lady at the LFS said she gave me a male and female. but again, i have read that males have more color and lack the stripe that my gouramis have. if they are in fact 2 females, could i add a male? thank you all in advance for the help.

They sure are showing the stripe!
If one is not larger then the other then I would guess they are the same sex(female).
If you think the LFS has a male you may be fine with a trio?
The male should definatley be smaller then both of them as a safe guard in sexing IMO.

ok thank you! i keep trying to get a pic of them together but every time i get close they scurry away and hide lol. but they appear to be the same size so i am guessing 2 females like you said. i hope they get less skiddish because i got them as my centerpiece fish, but i feel they will in time. and if i have enough room for a male id love to add one to add some color

Back
Top Bottom