Sexing Long-finned Zebra Danios

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gau

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I looked up some pictures on the internet, and tried to compare it with my fish, but I am really confused.

Am I correct in saying that both my Long-finned Zebra Danios are males? Opinions welcome....

Attachments

• danio1.jpg
    danio1.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 267
  • danio2.jpg
    danio2.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 250
  • danio3.jpg
    danio3.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 209
  • danios2.jpg
    danios2.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 160
Looks pretty gold to me. I was always told that their 'background' color helps determine sex. If the background is a nice gold color it is a male. If it is a paler yellow then it is a female. Also males are a bit slimmer than females. It is hard to tell without having a definite male and female to look at and compare. First glance though I'd say they are males.

Thank you. I feel that way too. Or they could be both females. Since I have only these two, and both havent got pregnant till now...

took a look at my danios (have some regular zebras and a couple of long fins) and I'd say yours are definitely both male. The only time I notice a color difference is in the morning, when the males get feisty and chase the females around; but the shape is there all day long. Females have a rounder chest, males are straight all the way through.

Back
Top Bottom