She committed suicide!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GouramiFanatic

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Last night I finally got a trio of female Bettas, 1 blue, 1 green/yellow, and 1 red/yellow. All was well when I went to bed last night. This morning came and I could only find 2 of them in the tank. I figured the third (red/yellow) was just hiding and would be out shortly so I went on with my day. When I went to check on them again I noticed something under the tank and sadly that's when I found her. She was rock hard and dry. I can't believe it, well I guess I can, but it still sucks! I just finished sealing up the top so the others can't do the same. Poor thing...

Guess you should have laid something over the tank. I have a hard time when I take the cover off to feed my girls, I keep a net in hand for when they jump out and I have to get them back in.

Sorry to hear about your loss. I've lost fish to suicide too and now my tanks are like a bank vault! -:)

My tanks have too many openings at the top, but I've never had a jumper yet. It's odd given that I have a bad habit of overstocking. Even my ropefish hasn't gotten out. Strange.

Aww, sorry. Bettas are kind of known for it, sadly. The wild betta species are even worse about jumping. I had a pair, and they both jumped twice, and survived out of water for hours each time. Until the day they got under the couch and I couldn't find them in time. :(

I've said this before, and I have no way of proving it's true, but at least it makes me feel better when I find a dried up jumper on the carpet.

It's obvious that fish can see us moving around our livingrooms, bedrooms, and basements. So, it's reasonable to suggest that fish think that our environment is just another large body of water. I don't think that they jump because they're unhappy with the tank or stressed (although that CAN be a reason). I believe that they jump out of their contained environment into our seemingly endless one in order to explore, look for more food, and find mates.

Like I said, who knows if this is true, but it helps me make some sense of random jumpers.

Sorry about your loss.

QTOFFER, I like your rational. I often dream that the fish are swimming around out of the water as if it were just a bigger pond.
GouramiFanatic, sorry for your loss. It always stinks to lose a fish, no matter how it happens.

I just had a betta do this two days ago. It was so sad to see him down on the ground dead :(

Back
Top Bottom