Shedding Slider

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Matrixra

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

I found your forum in a desperate need for help with my recently rescued Yellow Bellied Slider. He was without light for 12-18 months and looked a little sorry for himself when we had him. He had little water in a small tank and nothing to really get out on. We have him in a better enclosure now that we put together until we move (few months) and we can build him a larger home.
We have had him for a few months now but the last few days he seems to be shedding large parts of his shell. Also seems to be sleeping more than usual but the rest of the time is quite happy.
The shell seems to be shedding quite evenly, but its enough to concern me.

Any thoughts?

With thanks,

Steve

Attachments

• WIN_20160121_22_21_42_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20160121_22_21_42_Pro.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 100
Some shedding is normal as they grow, I fed my red eared slider calcium algae pellets and kept cuttlebone in the water to make sure he was set.

Some shedding is normal as they grow, I fed my red eared slider calcium algae pellets and kept cuttlebone in the water to make sure he was set.

Thank you very much for your reply. He is 12 so I assume he is fully grown. Could better conditions make him grow still? He is eating a lot lol I will try and take some better picture's.

My slider is about the size of a dinner plate now, I got him when he was the size of a quarter in 2002/2003. One day he'll probably stop growing XD

Orlando is cm long. More shell 'shed' this evening. I attach a picture. Still seems to be shedding evenly with the shell underneath looking in good condition. The shell that sheds is quite thin and doesn't look unhealthy!?

Being so knew to this I guess I am wanting to make sure I am not missing something. Am I feeding him too much etc! Is he under or over weight, could he have an infection etc!

Thanks for all your help and comments, really fantastic to have!

Steve

Attachments

• 20160125_204945.jpg
    20160125_204945.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 82
  • 20160125_204919.jpg
    20160125_204919.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 80
Back
Top Bottom