Shell rot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shane87

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I brought a Cumberland slider about a week ago and when I got it home I noticed that the back of his shell looked decayed like in the pic

Now it's slowly spreading up the side edges and the bottom of the shell looks pale and whitish on the joins. I have a UVA+UVB bulb and a decent basking area and I am feeding him the tetra turtle food.

Also he is shedding all his skin, is this normal? The skin underneath looks brighter and healthy

Attachments

• image-570598956.jpg
    image-570598956.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 81
  • image-1519186305.jpg
    image-1519186305.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 73
Turtles shed/molt like frogs and reptiles. They even shed the top layer of their shell! To help the turtle feel more comfortable, especially as they molt, you can give them calcium chips. Sometimes it's in the shape of a turtle and it's white like a turtle-shaped piece of chalk.

Turtles shed/molt like frogs and reptiles. They even shed the top layer of their shell! To help the turtle feel more comfortable, especially as they molt, you can give them calcium chips. Sometimes it's in the shape of a turtle and it's white like a turtle-shaped piece of chalk.

Ok thanks, so isn't there anything wrong other than shedding? It's the first turtle I have ever owned so idk a lot about them

Back
Top Bottom