Shoaling question tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok watch the cories video, and yeah they need I soft substrate. But the pearl gourami may really work nicely. I read on your link above, It is one of the most attractive, hardiest, and easy-to-keep gouramis. That sounds like a fish for me. Any chance they could eat the barbs, as 4" is a lot bigger then the barbs?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok watch the cories video, and yeah they need I soft substrate. But the pearl gourami may really work nicely. I read on your link above, It is one of the most attractive, hardiest, and easy-to-keep gouramis. That sounds like a fish for me. Any chance they could eat the barbs, as 4" is a lot bigger then the barbs?

Cories can be on smooth gravel. As long as it's not too big. Large gravel lets food fall down too low for Cories to get it.

Pearl Gouramis have small mouth. Mellow fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Cool, I think I will get the pearl gourami, it seems perfect. I will look at the cories again, but I'm thinking my undergravel filter could also be a problem? I'm really trying to think this thru, so as to minimize problems. Oh and I do have a regular filter too an emperor 400. I know everyone hates the ugf, but it always worked. But now i kind of wish I didn't so I could have live plants. As I love that natural look.

You can have live plants with a UGF. You can use Java fern, or Anubias, or Bolbitis or Mosses. None of these plants get "planted". You can tie or glue them to rocks or wood. They all grow under low light so they don't need major amounts of light.

Pearl Gouramis or any Gourami appreciate floating plants. I grow Amazon Frogbit. You can also float Anacharis.

Cories can live with a UGF as far as I know, you might give them a feeding dish.

I really had no idea, I just kind of thought all plants root. I am seriously looking into this idea. The java fern looked the easiest from what I read so far. And easy to get. May be a good place to start. Thanks again for all this great information. I am learning so much. :)

Just wanted to post an update, that I indeed took Coursairs advise, and added some live plants. Hope they live. I attached the java fern with that gel super glue, and the anubias is tied. I am now looking for something tall to go in the back. But nothing that roots. And something for my future gouramis is to hide under. I know you said frogbit, but what about light getting down to the other plants? Oh and I did get 3 more cherry barbs, all girls, and they do seem to stay together loosely, it's so nice to watch them swim around the java fern.

Oh here's the picture, as you can see I need more live plants.

Attachments

• 1421203987647.jpg
    1421203987647.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 50
If you add a branch going along the back you can glue Java Fern to that and they will get some height on them. There are also about 4-5 different species of Java fern.

Thanks, I was thinking about drift wood or that cactus wood (can't think of the name), but afraid it would leach and cause a problem. I understand it has to be soaked for days. Not that I won't try it, if this all grows:)

Cholla Cactus wood.

I've never worried about tannins, but I'm using thin pieces of Manzanita , so not much leaching at all. Plus my stuff likes tannins. If my tank water is darker for awhile, I'd be fine.

Manzanita so far hasn't stained my water.

Back
Top Bottom