Shook my sponge filter..white dust everywhere now!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shynepo3

Aquarium Advice Activist
So the filter tube cap was sort of loose, causing the water to come out too fast. So to make it tight again, I had to shake the sponge filter in the tank...which caused all the debris and dust on it to fly everywhere...

Now, I notice this white dust in my tank constantly...it does eventually settle, but if i slightly cause any movement in the tank at all, such as moving around some gravel, white dust will start to fly...it's A LOT...it looks white and stringy like...some of it's brown too...and it'll take hours to settle..

So i have a few questions:

1)To clean the sponge filter to avoid buildup in the future, do i just swirl it in a bucket of tank water (during a pwc)? I notice this doesn't really remove a lot of it...unless I physically use my fingers to pick off the debris...which may be harmful to the beneficial bacteria?

2)I also had a few almond leaves in the tank...would this cause an abnormal build up of dust?

3)I also had the tank hood open for long periods of time (my betta is not a jumper), due to hot temp...does this cause abnormal build up of dust?

The dust makes the tank look so dirty. And prior to shaking the filter, I never noticed amount like it...maybe just a bit when I did pwc and gravel vacuuming...I just want it to either go away completely, or at least not show up whenever i decide to just move gravel from one spot to another..
thanks in advance.

My answer to question 1.
I clean my filters by dipping them in tank water during pwc. Then giving them a good few squeezes in the water. Does the job for me.

Actually just had a thought and could and most likely be wrong but it's a thought ...
If your filter has 3 different components such as White filter, carbon filter and the block filters... Could the block filters be the cause?
In my filter they are creamy White in colour a bit like chalk. Could be they were disturbed and damaged somehow?
Might be worth checking if you do have it and if it's intact. :)

Sponge filters only have a sponge...

Just do some gravel vacs, it'll clear up. When you do your weekly water change, just put some water from the tank in a bucket and put the sponge in there... squeeze it repeatedly... if you hold it under the water, it'll turn a nice brown color.

thanks for all the replies...i'll start cleaning the filter with tank water by squeezing it...hopefully after a few weeks, it'll all disappear or be minimal..

prior to this, i never cleaned the filter, only the insert in the hob...but not the actual filter in the tank itself...so this is probably why it built up.

Back
Top Bottom