Should a betta have no filter/current?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wingspantt

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone, I got my filter working again but now I have to wonder, in my 5g tank is it better to use no filter, to reduce the current? It's a built in biowheel eclipse so I have no way to set it to "low", just on and off. Please let me know what's best for the fish!

Bettas don't like a lot of current but they can tolerate some current. Watch your betta and see how he feels about it. If he is hiding from the current at the bottom or the other side of the tank, there is too much current.

I have had a betta in an Eclipse tank with a bio-wheel. It was too much current for my betta. I tried to block the waterflow a little bit before the water cascaded through the bio-wheel. All I did was create a small puddle on the desk! Be very careful if you try to modify the filter.

I have used a sponge filter, with an airpump and gang valve, in a 5.5 gallon betta tank. I also have this filter in a 5.5 gallon betta tank: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3579+3632&pcatid=3632

I have the Duetto DJ-50. You can turn down the flow on this filter and also move the directional spout where the water comes out. I have my flow control closed (or open!) halfway. There is a red knob near the impeller and you can turn it to make the holes smaller (less flow) or larger (more flow). I have my directional spout aimed toward the back tank wall. My betta is very comfortable in this tank.

I also use this filter in a 10 gallon tank. The flow control is open the whole way, and the betta in here is very comfortable too. This is a nice, versatile filter.

Last edited:
Bettas can tolerate some current, but not a lot. If you can, I would recommend the Whisper Internal Filter rated for 5 gallon tanks, and switch it to low current (I believe the switch is on the bottom of the filter.)

I have mine in a 10g with 3 peppered cories. Admittedly, the HOB I have is probably just a tad too big for the tank, but he seems very happy. He swims everywhere. Mind you I have the filter turned all the way down.

Back
Top Bottom