Should I add shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nikipike

Aquarium Advice Regular
Every where I turn I see shrimp coming up, especially with planted tanks.
If i'm putting live plants in my tank, should I be adding shrimp??

How much extra do they add to the bioload?
I ask because it's a 10gal tank & I know i'll be going to the max on fish (5 1-2" fish, but with the way my fingers are itching i'll be looking to upgrade to a 20 long when I move in a few months.)

My other worry is them getting eaten, or at least ripped to pieces.
Think the el cheap ghost shrimp would be my only choice. Any shrimp that stands out I bet my bettas will torture & most likely kill.

Niki

If you add plants you dont have to add shrimp, if you add shrimp you should add plants.

The bioload is really negligible unless you have a serious shrimp farm. What fish do you have in your aquarium?

If you post your fish we can tell you how they will fair.

A note... be careful when you buy ghost shrimp, the cheaper ones and the ones in the petstores are feeders so they are usually not really ghost shrimp, so you never no what you will be getting. Its possible to buy alot of shrimp online as well.

The fish are all female bettas.

Went to the pet stores in the next town today & saw they have shrimp that look like amano shrimp for $3, but I forgot to ask. They might work as their fairly clear, wouldn't stand out.

I know I can order shrimp. Thought about ordering some w/ my plants since i'm doing over night, but they only carry cherry (cherries are red & so are blood worms, don't think my girls will care one is food & one isn't.) plus i'd only want a few if I got any shrimp.

Amano are cool shrmp, and they are larger then the cherries. Betas are a toss up when it comes to shrimp however... Somtimes they are good fish, somtimes they arn't.

Back
Top Bottom