Should I be concerned? (PH)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meave

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My tank finally cycled:dance:

My readings are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 20 nitrates after the final 95% waterchange.

My concern is that I put some Buffer Max into my tank to raise the PH to correct level for Mbuna's. I followed all the directions about how much to add and after letting in mix with the water for about 3 hours my PH reading is 8.8.

Now the place I'm getting my fish from say the fish were kept at a 7.8 PH level, and it's better to introduce Mbuna's into higher PH water than lower PH water.....but that much of a difference???

My fish arrive tomorrow via mail, should I do a partial water change to get eh PH level down some?

:thanks:

8.8 is unusually high! You may have added too much buffer.

I would perform a water change.
Try and not alter your pH too much. Messing with pH often leads to more problems than good.

As long as your pH is stable, your cichlids will adapt to a wide range pH.

I would leave the pH alone. Like Bubbke B0y said, messing with the chemistry of your water usually ends up having problems. Just do a huge WC and leave it at that, unless your water's natural pH is WAY off. If it is you might reconsider the fish you are putting in the tank. When you get your fish, drip acclimate them so the change in pH from the old tank to your tank isn't a shock to them.

Back
Top Bottom