Should I change my stocking plan?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spaullba

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Thanks for all of the help thus far guys. This aquarium thing has made me a bit OCD, but I am enjoying it.

Tank parameters- 20gallon (24 in long); Aqueon Quiet flow30 (upgraded filter to handle more fish down road); rounded gravel substrate; amm has consistently been at 0, ph 6.5-7; water is fairly hard; nirtite 0 nitrate 10-20 ish.
Tank has been set up for 2 weeks. I started with 3 Danios to slowly start a fish-in cycle, but amm was not changing so I added 2 more. Currently have 5 in the tank now.

My plan was as follows-
5-6 Zebra Danios (in tank)
5-6 White Skirt Tetra (in another 1-2 weeks)
4- Otos (wait until tank is cycled)
2- Bolivian Rams (Wait until tank is cycled)

(according to AqAdvisor my tank would be 89% full and the upgraded filter would be fine)

However, my Danios as super aggressive with one another, and I am worried about adding the tetras in. The tank was originally a gift to my fiancee as she kept fish as a child. She really wants the Tetras, I am just worried the Danios would bully them.

Also, I know Otos are shy/calm fish, will they be okay with a school of very rowdy Danios?

Everything I have read and people have said indicate the above composition will be fine, however the Danios aggressive nature is making me nervous.

Thanks

Zebra Danios are very busy fish. Maybe you can find a few females to add in. Maybe you selected more males.

The White Skirt should be alright maybe 2 males and 4 females.

Not too sure the Rams will like the craziness, and would be better for a little larger tank.

Thank you!

The Danios have calmed down the last few days it seems. Perhaps just acclimating to the tank.

Is there a different centerpiece fish you would recommend for my tank? Maybe a Dwarf Gourami?

you might want to try a bacteria booster to help cycle with your tank ( I use stability)
skirt tetras (and many other tetras) are known to fin nip. I think danios are no stranger to fin nipping and agression as well.
having an appropriate number and gender ratio can help level out aggression for many fish.
Rams can be territorial so be careful.
I think i would bump up the otto numbers to maybe 5-6

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom