should i cull this fish ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

candymancan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have been fighting columnaris for like 10-12 days now in my 30g tank.. I put the salinity to 3 or so tablespoons per gallon and I also tried triple sulfa for 4 days but I ran out as the stuff is expensive.. then I used Maracyn two for 5 days and so far I don't see anymore sick fish and the one fish who lost his fin and had the other one clamped is now doing really good.. The fin he lost the stub that is left is now clean and moving and the other fin is open and normal looking..

However I do have 1 red platy who still had white patches on his head and the scales are missing where the white patches are. he is still alive but he is starting to swim eraticly.. he stil eats and stuff but its like he is losing his balance... Im thinking of taking him out and culling him so he wont spread the columnaris anymore should I ? Because I just drained 90% of my water to remove the meds and salt I am done using meds I cant afford it anymore and the salt and meds I used seemed to have worked.. Of course killing half my plants with it.. but oh well..

How do I cull so they wont suffer? I don't have clove oil, just olive oil or cooking oil

You could drop it in boiling water or in almost frozen water ... I did boiling once and death was instant

If you can't get clove oil, the next most humane method according to vets is to behead the fish. That can be a bit tricky but it's fast. I would not use boiling water or ice, both cause intense pain for the short time it takes the poor fish to die. Clove oil can be purchased at most drug stores or health food stores, and does not cost very much. It's good to have on hand just in case and is the most humane, peaceful way to put a fish down.

Back
Top Bottom