Should I double up with another XP3?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dapellegrini

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am currently running one Rena XP3 on a 72g and I think I need more water flow. I have a couple of old powerheads laying around, but I am wondering if I wouldn't be better off with a second XP3? I noticed a few folks on this board seem to have double canisters.

I have an XP3 and 2 powerheads in my 75G, and cannot see why you couldn't have 2 XP3's. I personally think it would be fine if you don't mind the added expense.

Probably the biggest reason to have two filters on your tank is so that if one fails you have a spare and aren't stuck without any filtration on the tank. If you are just looking to have extra flow and don't care about redundancy, then sticking with the powerhead would be just fine.

Lonewolfblue said:
I have an XP3 and 2 powerheads in my 75G, and cannot see why you couldn't have 2 XP3's.

Seriously, how do you hide that much equipment in the tank?? I find that putting powerhead's in a tank very obtrusive and ugly, not to mention the flow usually makes my plants look all crazy-like!

What is your secret???

I have also found that powerheads have a tendancy to get plugged up quite often and can make a lot of noise. I am so happy with my aquarium right now, as it is practically silent.

Lonewolfblue, what brand/type of powerheads are you using? Are you able to keep them clean and quite?

With my flow problem, I was thinking a Canister would not only give me more flow in a slient manner, but also keep the tank just a little bit more clean....

a little bit more clean???? it will be cleaner than your tap water lol. i say if u arnt worried about the expense go with the XP3. will be less clutter than the powerheads and will add the extra filtration.

Well, one powerhead is back in the swords, near invisible. And the 2nd powerhead is behind the large driftwood, near invisible unless you are in the right side of the tank, then you can see it. Yes, the intakes of the powerheads get clogged now and then and need cleaning. And since adding the powerheads, my XP3's been getting clogged in less than a week due to the current getting more crud waterborn til the XP3 picks it up. It's hard cleaning a very dense forest, lol.

As for the powerheads, they are the MaxiJet 600's.

Oh, and no, the powerheads are set so my plants aren't going crazy in the current. You just have to know how to set them up in your tank.

Back
Top Bottom