Should I get dwarf gouramis or honey gouramis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishyfishlord

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 30 gallon long planted tank that is almost finished cycling now. I've been researching and have a stocking idea. A school of albino Cory catfish, a school of neon tetras and another species of tetra. I want a centerpiece fish and I've heard these two are good but I can't decide which ones to get. Could you guys help me

Personally, I would go with a dwarf gourami. I've had a powder blue for about 7 months now and it has been a great addition to my tank the entire time. It's an extremely bright and peaceful fish.

I have a 30 gallon long planted tank that is almost finished cycling now. I've been researching and have a stocking idea. A school of albino Cory catfish, a school of neon tetras and another species of tetra. I want a centerpiece fish and I've heard these two are good but I can't decide which ones to get. Could you guys help me

If gouramis being plural I would opt for honey gouramis. If you end up with 2 males DGs can be a bit of a pain. Although I think they are better looking I just haven't had much look with them. I bought 2 honeys and they were fine together although I may have been lucky and ended up with 2 females or one of each.

If you do opt for DGs I would remove any floating plants or anything obvious that may prompt them to mark a territory.

I know it wasnt one of your options, but its only because dwarfs ALWAYS die on me even with perfect condtions. I would do 2 honey, and 1 pearl.

I know it wasnt one of your options, but its only because dwarfs ALWAYS die on me even with perfect condtions. I would do 2 honey, and 1 pearl.

Some people have a really hard time with them while others have a very very easy time taking care of them. It usually just depends on the source they come from.

Pearl Gouramis are gorgeous and peaceful. Just only get one. Gouramis are very territorial. Honeys are the most peaceful. Dwarf are always males, so 2 will usually fight. DGs sometimes have a disease that kills them rapidly. We used to lose whole shipments. Had to change suppliers. So if they are healthy, they are quite hardy when not stressed and fed properly.

I've heard that honeys are more reliably healthy, and more peaceful. I would go with that but they're both great fish. Exept for the DG disease.

I'm torn between 1 Pearl or 2 or 3 Honey Yellows. Beautiful fish.

I have had 2 pearls, both for long periods of time, and both were SUPER peaceful. I kept one in a commmunity tank with platy, swords, and a betta. The other one was in a mixed gourami semi aggressive setup and was never involoved in the bickering matches.

Some sources saying the Pearls are fine with neon tetras and others saying its a bad mix!?

I wouldnt worry about it. Just get the pearl from somewhere you can check it out for a bit and make sure it dosent seem to be a jerk.

Back
Top Bottom