Should I Overstock 30g Mbuna Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

subliminalanarchy

Aquarium Advice Activist
Before You Tell Me
Yes, I'm going to upgrade the tank to a 55g in a few months ;)

Question
So the tank is a HEX. with dimensions 18x18x18x 24-high. As of right now it only has 2 electric yellows about 2.5" each. Lately I've noticed a little more aggression than usual and I was considering getting one or two more cichlids in there to even it out. What do you think?

Extra Info
Right now the bigger one controls the bottom but only bothers to chase the other one around every now and then. I think they're both females because the dominant one only has a little black on her fins. No damage has been done. The tank is heavily decorated. Nitrates never get above 10. They get fed lots of veggies.

I also started my mbuna's in a hex, it was a 60 gallon though. I had about 15 in my hex until I moved them all over to my 55. The footprint doesnt allow for much rock work for your fish to hide with the hex so I'd keep that in mind.

i would maybe add one or two small ones if you must have some. But I would suggest waiting til you get your big tank up.

i have 2 yellows too, mine never bother with each other, some of my wimpy-est fish lol

If you are going to upgrade to a larger tank, I would wait buying stock until that tank arrives. This way you'll have plenty of time to research your stock list. I always recommend to buy the tank first because you never know when hardship will happen and that next bigger tank doesn't fit into your budget.

When that next tank happens I would skip the 55 and go up to a 75, has the same footprint just deeper. This way you stock options go up with that extra 6in depth.

I totally agree with Hukit. Even if you have plans to upgrade, you're stuck with having very active swimmers in a tiny tank. It may be a 30 gallon tank, but it's not much different than having them in a 10 gallon in terms of swimming room. They *NEED* a minimum 4' tank. Not compltetely because of aggression, but because they are active fish that like to swim. Do your research, figure out what you want, then when you get your tank, buy the fish.

Overstocking is an opinion thing I think. everyone has a different one. I am currently overstocked a wee bit but I have a four foot tank, it allows for much better aggression control over the smaller tank. You've got the gallons for a few but not the actual footprint. i had the same problem.

I think people end up overstocking frequently due to poor decisions on stock list, just because they are all Africans they toss them all into a tank and hope for the best.

I have a 150 reef tank housing a mixture of 70 Africans which were carefully selected to reduce aggression, cross breeding and zone of tank which resulted in a thing of beauty.

Buy the tank, research you stock and you'll save alot of headaches and fish loss in the future.

Well it seems you guys are unanimous. I'll wait for the upgrade and do some more research on 'em. Thanks, glad I asked.

Back
Top Bottom