should I put in an airstone or two?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evil Nick

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have them in my amazon cart with the pump, fittings, check valves, etc etc but cant seem to pull the plug.

Dont know why, I think they would look nice and the fish might like them but in some weird way I just don't feel it would look "natural"

Plus the tubing everywhere. I found rigid tubing and suction cups on amazon but I like my equipment load to be minimal.....

what do you think?

95775-albums14194-picture67993.jpg

They aren't necessary, but they don't hurt to have. I keep them on hand just in case something happens to my filter or I have to heat treat for ich.

Love air-stones :) Always had them but I think you love them or hate them. I keep a spare battery powered air-pump for a serious power failure.

I like the look it adds as well as the aeration, tho with two HOBs on a 20g I really don't need it. I hate the mess it makes on the tank top which i have to constantly clean.

I have my setup on a UPS so I don't have to worry about power outages.

I have the battery powered ones too, for each tank, in case of a power outage. To me, these are ESSENTIAL. As for an everyday one, I think they do look nice, and have thought about adding them. I know some have better reviews than others. What brand/type were you thinking of ordering, Nick?

I'd say just make sure it's quiet. I had one but was so noisey it was a nightmare. Thrown in in thee end

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you want quiet airpumps get the top fin brands in petsmart.. Ive used a million different types and the only ones that are quiet are the top fin ones.. Get the 20g version the small 10g is a little noisier then the 20g one.

I like air stones but even with the quiestest air pump the bubbles and pump noise is still too noisy for a bedroom.. As long as you have surface agitation youll be fine and since your water level is that low im guessing your filter water falls in the tank.. so youre fine.. and plus you don't have many fish.. and the gourami breathes air from the surface..

I would say fill your tank up to the top though.. I always thought tanks with low levels like that were ugly.

I usually keep the water level higher.
I meant one for decor more than airflow

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I hide mine behind some tall wood or in my filter sometimes if I feel like I want/need to use my air pump lol since I don't love the bubbles.

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

I agree with your OP that they look "tacky" to me as well, and their unecessary if your already using plants and a HOB filter, it would probably just be noisy and clutter the tank and make unecessary and useless "bubbles". IMO, you have a beautiful planted low tech tank, why clutter it up with unecessary things?

I would get one but not run it. Have it for emergencies such as filter failure, heat treatment, etc. I have one in my planted tank, but only run it when my lights are off so I don't gas my fish with the diy co2

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have the battery powered ones too, for each tank, in case of a power outage. To me, these are ESSENTIAL. As for an everyday one, I think they do look nice, and have thought about adding them. I know some have better reviews than others. What brand/type were you thinking of ordering, Nick?

was about to grab a tetra whisper for a 40 gallon.
My buddy has it and its quiet. I just feel like Ill install it then go WTF did I waste my money on this for.
Well anyway I emptied my cart and bought a new modem for my house instead so pumps gets put on hold.

They are sort of tacky I think, but I keep one under my sink in case I need to treat for ich or whatever.

I haven't used air stones in years. No more clown puke gravel, no more pirate ships or random bubbles.

But it's whatever you like.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom