Should I use Chemi pure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

5x5

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Do you recommend using Chemi pure in my tank all the time? Would it provide any real benefit or is just a waste of money?

Honestly I don't even know what it's for ... but I'll tell you what I've been told and read multiple times, the only chemicals you need to put in the tank is the water (I suppose it qualifies as a chemical) and de-chlorinator. On occasion Aquarium Salt and Meds when warranted ... maybe ammonia (fishless cycle) that's it.

jcolon said:
Honestly I don't even know what it's for ... but I'll tell you what I've been told and read multiple times, the only chemicals you need to put in the tank is the water (I suppose it qualifies as a chemical) and de-chlorinator. On occasion Aquarium Salt and Meds when warranted ... maybe ammonia (fishless cycle) that's it.

Lol! I was gonna say..."I don't know what it is, but you don't need it."

I agree that a bucket (for water changes) and a bottle of water conditioner (like Prime) are all you need for a healthy aquarium.

I ended up googling Chemi-pure, and I see what it is now. Unless your pH is at EXTREME ranges or you are keeping the worlds most sensitive fish...they will adapt to your natural pH if acclimated properly. trying to alter your water chemistry will only cause fluctuations, stress and potentially harm to your fish. Just cycle the tank for them, feed em and give them clean water and everyone is happy :)

Thanks for the opinions. Some of my fishkeeper friends were giving me grief about not having chemical filtration as part of my system and recommended using this product because it works great and lasts for months. I guess it has some other benefits, but I was looking at it primarily as a way to absorb any metals or other inpurities in the water.

You still think I should nix the idea? I'm pretty steadfast about not using any other chemicals in the tank.

Thanks for the opinions. Some of my fishkeeper friends were giving me grief about not having chemical filtration as part of my system and recommended using this product because it works great and lasts for months. I guess it has some other benefits, but I was looking at it primarily as a way to absorb any metals or other inpurities in the water.

You still think I should nix the idea? I'm pretty steadfast about not using any other chemicals in the tank.

A good dechlorinator / water conditioner does all that. Prime neutralizes ammo, no2 and heavy metals.

Fresh water, dechlorinator and fish food are all you need :)

Some of those products are shortcuts and try to sell you the "less maintenance" idea. But no matter what you add to the tank, there is no substitute for weekly pwc's to refresh nutrients and buffers to the water and keep things clean. Some of these products that bind things like no2 can also develop a weaker bio-filter, IMO, because they are a competing source with the nitrifying bacteria.

Another example...say the product keeps the pH in your tank at 7.0, and let's say the pH from your tap is 8.0 (just for easy math). If you did a 50% pwc it would be an instant swing from 7 in the tank to 7.5, that is an extreme and sudden change and can be shocking and deadly to your fish.

No need for chemical filtration unless you're trying to remove medicine, odor (which a clean tank shouldn't have) or you're trying to take shortcuts or following bad advice. JMO :)

When I first started keeping fish we did not have the internet so alot of worthless purchases were based on LFS recommendations and I can only imagine the amount of money I've wasted on things I really did not need. I would kill the idea really the only thing you need is clean water,and a quality diet, and proper sized tank relative to your fish your keeping to be successful in this hobby.

Last edited:
I was curious what it is, and apparently its:

"Chemi-Pure is a high grade activated carbon and synthetic ion exchange resins."

"... removes ammonia and other harmful waste products and toxins from aquarium water, regulates pH and contains no phosphates.

"... can remove copper from medication dosage, along with other toxic heavy metals..."

"...Chemi-Pure is the perfect replacement for any aquarium filter using bags of carbon media."

So I suppose it's an upgrade from bog standard activated carbon :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom