show off your fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Beautiful salvinis hukit.. are you expecting any fry soon cause I'd love to get some thru you :)

It's funny everyone compliments on the salvini but around here they don't sell well. I have 3 young pairs that produce fry every couple of weeks but I've yet to have enough interest to remove and grow them out.

Hukit......how big do salvini get and how aggressive are they?

They average around 7-9" and they are highly aggressive, I would say they are in the top 10 as far as new world cichlids go.

Here is a fairly interesting read on different opinions of aggressive fish.

Cichlid madness- top 21 Most aggressive

HUKIT said:
It's funny everyone compliments on the salvini but around here they don't sell well. I have 3 young pairs that produce fry every couple of weeks but I've yet to have enough interest to remove and grow them out.

They average around 7-9" and they are highly aggressive, I would say they are in the top 10 as far as new world cichlids go.

Here is a fairly interesting read on different opinions of aggressive fish.

Cichlid madness- top 21 Most aggressive

When you say highly aggressive do you mean almost as bad as festae? Do you ever have pairs killing each other? And sorry for the stray from topic OP this is my last one and hukit if you ever want to get rid of a pair or have some stray fry that make it please send me a PM :)

When you say highly aggressive do you mean almost as bad as festae? Do you ever have pairs killing each other? And sorry for the stray from topic OP this is my last one and hukit if you ever want to get rid of a pair or have some stray fry that make it please send me a PM :)

I don't think they're as bad as my festae but they're not to far behind in my opinion. These guys are around 3-3.5" so they're not even close to full size but pairs that I've had in the past would terrorize tank mates 2-3 times their size.

Pretty cool read, all though I don't agree with a few, it's pretty much covered all the "bad boys" anything on that list demands respect.

Oh and what's the growth rate like on salvini's? I have a new idea brewing haha!!!

My ngarA flametail which unfortunately passed away last week. I had him for 8 years though so he lived a long time.

Attachments

• image-2625598664.jpg
    image-2625598664.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 116
Pretty cool read, all though I don't agree with a few, it's pretty much covered all the "bad boys" anything on that list demands respect.

Oh and what's the growth rate like on salvini's? I have a new idea brewing haha!!!

Yes there are a couple of fish missing off that list such as festae :devilish: but a interesting take.

The salvinis will average around a half inch per month.

Agressive in pairs or to all fish in general?

Nasty alone, deadly in pairs. Like most new world cichlids there is always variations in individual temperament but in general they're tough to house in a community cichlid tank.

Beautiful salvini. But the Red terrors are like I said awesome. There was a change in their scientific name, right?

Beautiful salvini. But the Red terrors are like I said awesome. There was a change in their scientific name, right?

New worlds are constantly being reclassified, festae has gone from amphilophus to cichlasoma and now in excichlasoma until they fine a permanent genus.

This might be a stupid question, but i bought a "cichlasoma salvini" at my lfs and the 21 top list had it as a "nandopsis (sp) salvini" same fish or different?

This might be a stupid question, but i bought a "cichlasoma salvini" at my lfs and the 21 top list had it as a "nandopsis (sp) salvini" same fish or different?

Like I said they are constantly being reclassified, even I have a hard time keeping up. Same fish, new genus.

Keep posting pictures of your salvini and Festae. Or you will be stuck with pictures like this.

image-3587294018.jpg

One of 8. Love them so I put them in the Tanganyica tank.

image-2045939483.jpg

My tank revolves around them.

image-2722560822.jpg

This is big "tori" he is a yellow calvus and has a mate. He was stuck in the middle of a love triangle with black calvus who recently passed away. Maybe now he will pay attention to his own kind.

The frontosas are easy to photograph. The rose lines are quick.

Attachments

• image-4284028038.jpg
    image-4284028038.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 109
  • image-1449190581.jpg
    image-1449190581.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 112
  • image-864549859.jpg
    image-864549859.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 96
  • image-3037681621.jpg
    image-3037681621.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 97
One of 8. Love them so I put them in the Tanganyica tank.

I have 13 on them in my 150g, with most of them over 3". I'll try to snap some pictures tomorrow.

The fonts look great one of my favorite rift lake cichlids, probably since they resemble a new world!

Do females get real sluggish before dropping eggs? my female has just been sitting in one spot.......she swims all the time, just takes "breaks" i guess? any suggestions?

Bumble bee with alpha colors

Attachments

• image-2366233174.jpg
    image-2366233174.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 95
  • image-1987520344.jpg
    image-1987520344.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 91
Back
Top Bottom