Show off your shrimp tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388517091.975182.jpg
bamboo shrimp... how often should he be fanning, and is a week old aquarium alright for him to be living in?

My two bamboo shrimp will fan 24 / 7 ... Practically non-stop. The only exceptions I've seen in my tank is during maintenance or when they hide in preparing to molt.

A week old tank will generally not have a mature enough filter .. You need an established filter ... Say after two months which will have the microbe colonies bamboo shrimp feed off. You can spot feed them crushed algae wafers etc, but I've never fed my bamboo shrimp specifically, I feed my fish and let the filter media do the rest.

View attachment 214483
bamboo shrimp... how often should he be fanning, and is a week old aquarium alright for him to be living in?

Probably 4-6 months for a tank, best for a Bamboo Shrimp. If you have a cycled tank and stable parameters, then maybe 2 months more after that. They feed on microscopic particles in the water. You can spot feed him if you use a turkey baster sometimes cheap ones at the $ store.

Use huge caution though and feed on a day you will FOR SURE be able to do an adequate pwc. The crushed pellets/ powdered flakes will frequently cause a big ammonia spike, with the following Nitrite and Nitrate issues, without big enough pwc. Then a dead shrimp. They can get ammonia burn on their fans, and if they molt soon after they will possibly still be able to eat with fresh fans.

The fans will stay closed and they will walk around a lot or just hide for awhile, because they are injured. Mine had black edges on the fan like it was messed up. The black was not on mine before it happened.

I have nursed an injured Bamboo Shrimp and it ended up living about 3 years total. It was injured from a vacation time pet feeder who went crazy overfeeding them.:nono:

Another major concern in your situation for the Shrimp is they are wild caught and then can travel a long time, some times through several wholesalers and/or trans shippers, and may be partially or all starved to begin with.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388605082.507223.jpg
This is my five gallon blue velvet shrimp tank with a sponge filter and aqua tech hob and cfl lighting

This is my 16gallon Giant African shrimp tank with snail's. Really enjoy these guy's. 1388611371747.jpg1388611434298.jpg1388611508342.jpg

53 gallon elephant nose tank
16 gallon Giant African shrimp tank

I have shrimp in my community tank. I have 5 amano (pic attached) be glad if someone can confirm that. Also have over 50 Red Cherry Shrimp. Magic. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388612091.621141.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388612106.154289.jpg

I have shrimp in my community tank. I have 5 amano (pic attached) be glad if someone can confirm that. Also have over 50 Red Cherry Shrimp. Magic.

Idk what type of shrimp that is but it doesn't look like an amano shrimp

12G Edge

This has been running since the end of August 2013.

Inhabitants are 4 adult Blue Velvet Shrimp, Big Momma just dropped a few fry. 3 Celestial Pearl Danios, 1 male and 2 females. More will be coming as soon as I can find a good price.

5 Young Green Neons (3 more youngsters after I get them out of the other tank) 2 growing Albino Bristlenose Fry, Red Ramshorn Snails and a few.

The Green Neons are just stunning. But if they get too big (supposed to be 1" according to several people who keep them), I am going to move them. I had planned on 15 Chilis/Boraras Brigittae originally, but couldn't get them at the right price.

Hoping to add Tangerine Tigers pretty soon.

First shot
60074-albums13090-picture64837.jpg

Current tank shot
60074-albums13090-picture64838.jpg

Blue velvet
60074-albums13090-picture64811.jpg

Last edited:
Really nice! How much would you sell it for? Lol :p I have problems keeping java fern alive!

I have shrimp in my community tank. I have 5 amano (pic attached) be glad if someone can confirm that. Also have over 50 Red Cherry Shrimp. Magic. View attachment 214636View attachment 214637

Maybe Blackberry shrimp. It is so often hard to tell, because so many people use common names, and even the Latin names have been reclassified so they are different too, and so many kinds have color morphs or variations which can seem similar to others. :facepalm: :flowers:

How big are they and how long have you had them. Amanos can get 2+inches long.

Pretty shrimp though, thanks for sharing this lovely pic.

Hi. The 5 shrimp are all about 1.5". They vary a little in colour but all have a fine orange/red line down their backs. I bought a bulk load of plant from someone downsizing. Didn't even know I had them until I saw one on the carpet. I think they are so entertaining and would never have thought of getting them myself. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388698590.144994.jpg

Beautiful coloration, and at that size, that would be the maximum for most Dwarf Shrimp. Maybe you will get some babies if they aren't Amanos!!!

With that pic and color it doesn't look like a Blackberry :confused:

Well here it is guys and girls! Just got everything all situated in it today and am now waiting for the time I can put my shrimp in!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388897583.698741.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388897583.698741.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 253
Thanks, I ll take a look.
I didn t think I wanted shrimp until I got a few, now I watch them prob more than the fish sometimes!

Back
Top Bottom