Showcase Fish Ideas For My 20gH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Legato147

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all! This is my first post on the forum! :lol: Getting back into the hobby after a several year hiatus...

I'm in the middle of stocking my new 20gH tank. It's fully cycled with lots of filtration and aeration. It's planted with lots of fake plants (lots of green and purples) and has a black sand substrate.

I'm looking for ideas for a pair of interesting, colorful, fancy looking fish. The Brad and Jolie of my tank, basically! :)

Currently, I have the following (AqAdvisor says I'm 75% stocked):
Panda Corys x6
Harlequin Rasboras x 10

My plan was to get two German Blue Rams. BUT I just learned that the rasboras (max 77F) and rams (min 78.8F) aren't really compatible temperature-wise. The guy at the fish store told me it shouldn't be an issue if I keep tank at 78F...and honestly, being in SoCal, I doubt I can keep my tank any cooler during summer.

Thoughts on this? Will the rasboras and rams be fine at 78F? Otherwise, any good ideas for some other showcase fish that are more compatible?

THANKS!

I think a pair of Rams would be fine. Harlequins will be able to tolerate it.

Also, you may want to look in to Bolivian Rams instead. They are a bit less finicky than the German Blues. I recently had an issue acclimating a German Ram to a new tank, even though the water parameters were basically the same as the store's. :( However, many people have had success, so it's up to you.

Oh, and :welcome: to the forum!

German Blue rams really need to be added to a mature tank, maybe 6ish months old at least. They are very sensitive to nitrates so your water must be kept clean by say 50% WC's weekly especially since you have no live plants. Bolivian rams are hardier and can be added to newer tanks but aren't as colorful. Another option is look into Honey Gouramis. They don't have the disease issues Dwarf gourami's have and they also come in Sunset and Golden Honey variety colors.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom