Shrimp and iron

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bmtiz92

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is it possible for shrimp to ever be in a tank that's previously had iron in it? How do you make it inhabitable for the shrimp? I've got a ten gallon that I ignorantly put root tabs in with iron in them, and now months later I want to have some shrimp. Will breaking the tank down and cleaning with bleach be enough?

I have never heard of shrimp and iron being an issue. Are you sure you dont mean copper?

It should be fine. Copper messes up the nervous system in invertebrates when it is absorbed into their bodies. Iron is generally harmless.

It may actually help their colors pop, I added substrate for plants with minerals in it and it made my ghost shrimp very clear with black markings on their backs and black and orange markings on their tails. It also seems to help color up my crystal red shrimp as well (whiter whites).

OH! I could have sworn it was iron! Phew, I've been sweating this like crazy. So if I'd had copper in the tank previously, would cleaning it like that get rid of it?

Copper will soak into the aquarium sealant on the corners of the tank and can leak back in over time so it is advised once you treat a tank with copper to never use it to house invertebrates.

Copper will soak into the aquarium sealant on the corners of the tank and can leak back in over time so it is advised once you treat a tank with copper to never use it to house invertebrates.
I treated with the blue stuff for ich a long time ago. Is that a source of copper? My shrimp are fine I was just curious.

No, that would be most likely methylene blue or a combination of that and malachite green and/or formalin.

Back
Top Bottom