shrimp bowl

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rainbow shark

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
:)
I am starting a shrimp bowl. no heater, light, filter, but about 2 gallons for 6 cherry shrimp and 5 ramshorn snails. very small driftwood with java moss, cristalwort?, and duckweed. gravel botom. are there any special considerations i should know about.

bad idea, get rid of the snails, load up on plants for filtration, but cycling with shrimp is extremely dangerous, because they are extremely sensitive to ammonia. PLEASE try to get some seed gravel or filter material from an established tank! Test water daily (and log it) to see where your water quality is, and please do water changes, if not daily, then at least every other day! I think this idea is really bad!

bad idea, get rid of the snails, load up on plants for filtration, but cycling with shrimp is extremely dangerous, because they are extremely sensitive to ammonia. PLEASE try to get some seed gravel or filter material from an established tank! Test water daily (and log it) to see where your water quality is, and please do water changes, if not daily, then at least every other day! I think this idea is really bad!

why is it a bad idea? as long as the tank is cycled ( no mention of whether it would be or not) there is absolutely nothing wrong. alot of people do their shrimp setup this way.

It seems like a bad idea to me to not have mechanical filtration in a substandard-type container. Oxygen (and CO2) will diffuse slowly due to the low surface area to volume ratio. Hopefully there will be a light on top, because you really don't want to put the bowl in sunlight to provide food for plants, due to temperature swings.

this is a shallow wide bowl so surface area should not be a problem
why are snails bad?
The tank has been up for a week with snails and I've been feeding it
i have washed my filter out in the bowl multiple times

thanks for the input

This setup should be fine. You can cycle a tank with shrimp and live plants. I've done this numerous times, including my shrimp breeding setups, some of which have quite expensive shrimp...no losses.

Back
Top Bottom