Shrimp compatability

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pvtdgrif

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all

I'm considering getting some shrimp to help keep my 30g tall tank clean. My stock list is currently just 6 assorted TBs, but I'm planning on upping that to 10 total and a BN Pleco.

Firstly, are clean up shrimps a good idea or just an excuse to leave it longer between PWCs (as long as the params are ok)?

Next question, will my TBs get on ok with shrimps?

And if shrimps are a good idea and compatible which shrimps do you all suggest?

TIA for any advice and suggestions

Matt :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

TB? Tiger Barbs?

I kept Ghost Shrimp with Tiger Barbs. They were fine until the Tiger Barbs got bored and killed one. It only happened occasionally though and they did eat it all when they killed one. The Shrimp need plenty of hiding places to stop this happening more often.

Tim Wheatley said:
TB? Tiger Barbs?

I kept Ghost Shrimp with Tiger Barbs. They were fine until the Tiger Barbs got bored and killed one. It only happened occasionally though and they did eat it all when they killed one. The Shrimp need plenty of hiding places to stop this happening more often.

Yeah, Tiger barbs. I've had them nearly 3 weeks and they've just settled down an mostly stopped bickering with each other now.

I don't have much cover ATM if I added more cover, how many would you add?

Here is a pic of the tank to help with your advice...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

Attachments

• image-382602785.jpg
    image-382602785.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 120
Their bioload is minimal. I kept a puffer in a 30g and added 6 dozen at a time as food for him. I must have had a hundred in there at one time. Never saw a mini cycle occur so I think if you added 20 or so you shouldn't have an issue. A good idea would be to feed the Tiger Barbs bloodworms or something shortly before adding the shrimp. Hopefully the greedy TBs will be full for a few mins and not see the shrimp as food the instant they hit the water.

Be aware though, the TBs WILL eventually kill one, even if not straight away.

Back
Top Bottom