Shrimp Home...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Freshwater Paradise

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Alright Folks, I want some opinions... I was thinking on Making a Very small Tank for some shrimp. Nothing special, Just some glass shrimp or Cherry Shrimp. My Thoughts were to maybe use an old school 'Fish bowl'. No filtration, No real heater, and No light other than my Desk light. I want some opinions. I know I should Have filtration and everything, I just already have 4 tanks going... 3 in one room! So, I just dont wanna kill my electric bill any more! lol. Anyway, I will do Plenty of waterchanges, and Were I would put it is on my desk in one of the rooms in my house that really doesn't get "alot" of cool air, so I believe it would stay plenty warm enough for the shrimp. Theres no real reason to why I want to so this, other than I really like shrimp. I cant put them in with my current tanks cause all my fish eat them eventually. ESPECIALLY my cichlid tank! I don't even think they get to hit the water! Anyway, I wanted to give it a try.... It would be decorated with at least 1 Plant(fake, Unless I deside to use a light), Gravel, and possibly air.... What do ya think? I want some Ideas on the most efficient way to try this! Thanks A head of time! :p

It'll be fine. I'd recommend at least a 2.5 gallon tank if you can get one. Either that or maybe you could do a 10g if space isn't that limited. 10g tanks are only about $10 and that's right there with the price of a 2.5g tank. 2.5g doesn't allow you to keep many shrimp, I'd say 75 maybe. RCS are very capable of living in a wide range of temps but they may stop breeding if the temps get below the low 60's. They can survive in near freezing water and would be my choice for a shrimp only tank, if you wanted to keep costs down.

Alright, So you say Get maybe a 10G and that would work fine... What about filtration. Everyone on another forum I am part of is saying "I definitly Need a Filter".... What do you think?

If you go with live plants you won't need to have a filter. An airstone would be nice for surface agitation but it's not necessary. Plants like java moss or any other moss along with guppy grass would take out nitrates and that means you won't have to do as many water changes. I'd still recommend that you do a gravel vac once a month and change out 2-3 gallons of water at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom