Shrimp tank size opinions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishyd

Aquarium Advice Freak
Howdy all. I've been looking at starting a pair of shrimp only tanks for a while now and right now, not sure if I want to do a 10g tank or a 20L. One will be blue shrimp (most likely blue jelly) and the other orange (sakura or pumpkin). They will also be lightly planted with low light plants and no co2.

I know that with a 20L, I have more options of scapes I could do, but it will also be more work. For those that keep shrimp, what tank size would you go with and why?

I would go for the 20L. The shrimp would be fine in both, but if you have the extra $ and space for a 20L then why not?

I've kept shrimp from 5-20gal. They may be small, but they do appreciate a larger space. Also, I'm partial to rimless tanks for dwarf shrimp- a 12gal long would make an awesome shrimp tank.

That 12g is a very good looking tank. If you don't mind me asking, how would you set it up? Filter wise.

Mine are very happy in a 10g tank and there is always a pregnant shrimp or two as well as a shell every so often at the bottom of the tank.

You can keep shrimp in very small tanks but it is easier to stabilise water conditions in bigger tanks as small mistakes are less significant . I would also go for the bigger tank because if your shrimp are succesful they will breed alot and your tank will quickly become full

Back
Top Bottom