Shrimp tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gboy66

Aquarium Advice Addict
Want to make a shrimp tank out of our cycled 10 g!! It has no fish in it and the water parameters are fine!!! So all and any info would be awesome!!!

I don't know much about shrimp so I won't comment on that but if the tank is empty and truly cycled you'll want to feed it an ammonia source (pure ammonia) every day to keep the bacteria alive.

librarygirl said:
I don't know much about shrimp so I won't comment on that but if the tank is empty and truly cycled you'll want to feed it an ammonia source (pure ammonia) every day to keep the bacteria alive.

Oh really?? I didnt know that!

10 gallons is huge for shrimp! Lol they'd love it there. I've had plenty of experience with shrimp. In a ten gallon, you may find you'd like other fish, or perhaps a centerpiece fish with them. Let me know if you have any questions!

Well I'd first cycle the tank. It needs to be fully cycled or else the shrimp will die, like fish. Then find out which shrimp that you like. You could do a few types of shrimp in there but watch out because certain shrimp will interbreed with one another and create, well IMO ugly shrimplets. Also add plants! They love plants and feed on the microorganisms that live on them. My shrimp love java moss so I'd highly recommend that and xmass moss as well. any more questions? I'd be happy to help:D

haha I'm setting up a 10 gallon shrimp tank too! also fully cycled. what shrimp were you planning on?? so far i only have two ghost shrimp in mine. :) i have had experience with fw and sw shrimp though so if this is your first time i wouldn't recommend any expensive shrimps till you are experienced. also put lots of plants in it!

MABJ said:
10 gallons is huge for shrimp! Lol they'd love it there. I've had plenty of experience with shrimp. In a ten gallon, you may find you'd like other fish, or perhaps a centerpiece fish with them. Let me know if you have any questions!

Well i didnt want any fish to eat all the eggs, and since the tank ist bein used...why not?!? They dont require a ton of maitenence!!!

AquaKai said:
Well I'd first cycle the tank. It needs to be fully cycled or else the shrimp will die, like fish. Then find out which shrimp that you like. You could do a few types of shrimp in there but watch out because certain shrimp will interbreed with one another and create, well IMO ugly shrimplets. Also add plants! They love plants and feed on the microorganisms that live on them. My shrimp love java moss so I'd highly recommend that and xmass moss as well. any more questions? I'd be happy to help:D

Well i had a micro angel and 7 glolights in there since about a month ago, and have kept everything running and stuff and still do water changes...still think it wont be alright immediatley? Im thinking ill pick up java mosd too....too bad i threw all my old moss away. Oh and i like ugly fish...i have hatchetfish dont i?? Hahah

animalzrok2 said:
haha I'm setting up a 10 gallon shrimp tank too! also fully cycled. what shrimp were you planning on?? so far i only have two ghost shrimp in mine. :) i have had experience with fw and sw shrimp though so if this is your first time i wouldn't recommend any expensive shrimps till you are experienced. also put lots of plants in it!

Thinking ghoasts and rcs..maybe any others i can find...and iv had shrimp before! Had them breed too!

I like ugly fish too :) lol. I don't think all your eggs would get eaten with one other nice fish. Like a gourami :) some might, but with proper coverage, or plants or whatnot, natural selection might happen, but youd still get some new shrimp lets :)

MABJ said:
I like ugly fish too :) lol. I don't think all your eggs would get eaten with one other nice fish. Like a gourami :) some might, but with proper coverage, or plants or whatnot, natural selection might happen, but youd still get some new shrimp lets :)

Maybe! Maybe a small center.. Any info guys? Do i need a sponge filter..what species go along well..does petco sell shrimp? Thanks!!

petco only sells bamboo and ghost shrimp. you defiantly need a sponge filter.

animalzrok2 said:
petco only sells bamboo and ghost shrimp. you defiantly need a sponge filter.

Not necessarily true. Theyll survive with a filter filter. I've seen it in my tank :)

yeah but imo you don't want to take chances. lfs sometimes sell rcs so do lots of online sites.

Hmmm..anything i can maybe wrap around the filter to save cashundle? ($ haha) but if not ill get a sponge..dont wanna suck up my cocktails hehe

once i stuck a sponge into the intake of the filter. it actually worked but not as well as i hoped. when improvising also make sure that the pressure of the filter doesn't crush the shrimp. for example i took a metal netting and put it in the intake of my filter but one of my shrimp still died of being sucked against it.
:(

animalzrok2 said:
once i stuck a sponge into the intake of the filter. it actually worked but not as well as i hoped. when improvising also make sure that the pressure of the filter doesn't crush the shrimp. for example i took a metal netting and put it in the intake of my filter but one of my shrimp still died of being sucked against it.
:(

Ooh..well its only a little 10g filter haha still think theyd die? I dont have a problem with buyin a 10$ sponge filter though..no big D hahah

Back
Top Bottom