Shrimp vs copper medication and low ph

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cobra

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This is my problem: I am finding it terribly challenging to keep shrimp alive in my tank for more than 6 hours. Tried twice now and failed both times...parameters are normal for trites, trates and ammonia (0,10,0). Temp was at 82.

ph tested remarkably low (6), and I cannot figure out why. I dose co2, and aside from maybe one or two leaves that need to be removed from the tank I do not know what would be causing the ph to be so acidic. Tested the tap water and was 7.5...obviously a huge change. Is this something that would wipe out 14 shrimp in a matter of hours?

Second thing of interest is two months ago I dosed a copper medication in the tank. I have since changed the water over 15 times, changed filter media, etc. but is it possible that after one single dosing of medication, enough copper could linger to have an affect on the shrimp?

This is my problem: I am finding it terribly challenging to keep shrimp alive in my tank for more than 6 hours. Tried twice now and failed both times...parameters are normal for trites, trates and ammonia (0,10,0). Temp was at 82.

ph tested remarkably low (6), and I cannot figure out why. I dose co2, and aside from maybe one or two leaves that need to be removed from the tank I do not know what would be causing the ph to be so acidic. Tested the tap water and was 7.5...obviously a huge change. Is this something that would wipe out 14 shrimp in a matter of hours?

Second thing of interest is two months ago I dosed a copper medication in the tank. I have since changed the water over 15 times, changed filter media, etc. but is it possible that after one single dosing of medication, enough copper could linger to have an affect on the shrimp?

I'll tell you what I learned on another thread about shrimp, since I haven't been able to get any yet, and I'll try a little chemistry to hopefully help with the pH issue.

The first issue I notice is temperature. I have been told that shrimp need lower temperatures, i.e. 74-78 degrees. The highest they can tolerate is 78 degrees, and some will cook at that. 82 is way too high for them. Someone else may come on here and confirm that or argue with it, but this is what I was told when I asked 50 million too many questions about ghost shrimp after being advised to get a few to help clean up my sand. I just haven't been able to get them yet due to lack of stock in store and ammonia issues that won't go away.

As for pH, you said you were dosing CO2, I believe is for plants. I personally do not use CO2, I use liquid plant food stuff from API. The problem looks like it's with your dosing. Carbon dioxide (CO2) very readily mixes with water (H2O) to make carbonic acid (H2CO3). This is why soda pop is bubbly and tastes good, and is also the tool your body uses to know when it needs to get rid of CO2 - H2CO3 builds up in blood from picking it up from tissue which then will go to either the lungs or kidneys for excretion. My assumption is you have a lot of CO2 mixing with your water that's making your pH plummet like that. My suggestion would be to try adding less CO2 when you do. A pH of 6.0, I've read, is very bad for your bacteria and can make the cycle start over.

Hope this helps. ;)

I dramatically reduced the flow of co2. It was at a bubble/second, I took it down to 1 per 6 seconds. I added some crushed coral to the filter, wishful thinking that will help balance it out and make the tank more stable. I took the temp down to 78...Crossing my fingers that this works!

I dramatically reduced the flow of co2. It was at a bubble/second, I took it down to 1 per 6 seconds. I added some crushed coral to the filter, wishful thinking that will help balance it out and make the tank more stable. I took the temp down to 78...Crossing my fingers that this works!

Sounds like it should. Good luck.

If you have any doubts about the copper you could buy cuprisorb by seachem. Put it in the filter and it will remove any copper that might be left behind

Back
Top Bottom