Shrinking anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blake5690

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have this bubble tip anemone which I've had for about 4 months now. When I first got it, it was 2 or 3 times this size but in the past month or so it has shrunk down to this size. Could it be because I have an anemone crab living on it?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398123632.908199.jpg

I have this bubble tip anemone which I've had for about 4 months now. When I first got it, it was 2 or 3 times this size but in the past month or so it has shrunk down to this size. Could it be because I have an anemone crab living on it?View attachment 234266

First things first, are you taking the pic with a green filter or something!?? Or is that actually all algae?

View attachment 234426 I think it was just the lighting.

Any recent changes to the tank? Lighting, additions, salt mix, etc.? Also, how old is the tank and what other stock do you have?

What are your params? Looks like top you have quite a bit of cyano, which is most likely a nutrient problem. Assuming you have cyano nitrate and phosphate may even read 0.

Also, what lights do you have? That nem looks bleached.

The only change that I can think of that would directly affect the anemone is the crab but other than that everything has been the same. My tank includes 2 oscellaris clowns, pink spotted watchman goby, firefin tang, green spotted puffer, Midas blenny, peppermint shrimp, anemone crab, condylactis anemone (which is doing great). About 10-15 hermit crabs. The lighting is a metal halide 250w hanging fixture. Temp- 77F. Salinity- 1.022. Nitrates- 10-20ppm nitrites- 0ppm ammonia- 0ppm pH- 8.2. I use instant ocean salt. Filtration is emperor 400 bio wheel. I can say that the algae growth is pretty rapid. I had a sea hare which was doing a great job of cleaning it up but it died after a few weeks.

I would say that nem is on the way out. That is pretty high nitrates for anemones, I'd be looking at getting them as close to 0 as you can...

Back
Top Bottom