Siamese algae eater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fred

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I'd like to add an algae eater of some sort to my 44g hexagon tall corner tank. It's currently stocked with 2 angels, 4 diamond tetras, 3 lemon tetras and 3 columbian tetras. I plan on adding 5 neon tetras as soon as they grow a bit more at my LFS. I'd like to add 2 or 3 Siamese algae eaters. Do you think this is too much for my tank? I have tried an Otto cat (he died) and a rhino pleco (died too). I can see the algae on the wood and glass now. If the Siamese algae eaters are not good match, would I be crazy to put a mystery snail in? Do they even help that much with algae?

Mystery snails don't help much with algae.

I think you could add a couple of SAE's, or if you want snails that really eat a lot of algae, you might try nerite snails.

I have two SAE in my tank, they do a great job cleaning ornaments, walls, rocks. They also love to be around the driftwood.

Somebody told me that when they grow up they will stop eating algae and will start to figh each other, but I don't know if this is true?

So far mine have been in the tank for 3 months, are growing evenly and they deal with each other just fine, once in a while during feeding time they chase each other, but the rest of the day they mind their own business of cleaning and eating algae. They love wafers also and flakes.

Also my tank is a community tank with clouds, tetras, corys and 1 Angel fish, and the SAE don't bother anybody in the tank.

Just be sure, if you deceide to get SAE, that you get a true SAE, many fish stores mislabel Flying fox as a SAE. I heard that the flying fox are not as good and peaceful as the SAE. Be aware, It is not easy to differenciate between them, check in the internet there are some sites that explain the physical differences between the two species.
Good luck
:p

Last edited:
Just be sure, if you deceide to get SAE, that you get a true SAE, many fish stores mislabel Flying fox as a SAE. I heard that the flying fox are not as good and peaceful as the SAE. Be aware, It is not easy to differenciate between them, check in the internet there are some sites that explain the physical differences between the two species.

Ya I've read about that. Been looking at lots of pics of SAE's. I think I'm gonna go ahead and get 2. They aren't bad to look at either, I like them better than a pleco. I have a planted aquarium as well and think they'll make a perfect addition.

Sorry that was supposed to quote you...lol...new to doing this on my iPhone :p

You're right. Flying fox tend to stop eating algae as they get older, and can become quite aggressive toward tank mates (based on personal experience here). Best to make sure you're getting true SAE.

Chinese Algae Eaters will stop eating algae, true SAE are great for algae 24/7/365. Well mine are anyway, and that is also what I have read from many other sources.

Rebel1970 said:
Chinese Algae Eaters will stop eating algae, true SAE are great for algae 24/7/365. Well mine are anyway, and that is also what I have read from many other sources.

Awesome thanks!!!

Back
Top Bottom