Sick angel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mar23

Aquarium Advice Freak
1- I have a Koi angel fish that has been sick for about 3 weeks now. The fish has lost its left fin and has like a growth on it. It swims upside down erratically like it cannot control where it’s going. It was already doing that before it lost the fin. I’m not sure it’s eating. It tries to get to the surface when I put food in, but I don’t see it eat. The belly area is a little pinkish. I saw the other angels picking on him before he started to look sick, but he’s been in the hospital tank for a couple of weeks and is not improving. I have treated the tank with Melafix.
2~I don’t know my tank parameters. The fish has been moved to a 10 gallon hospital tank.
3~ The fish is currently in a 10 gallon hospital tank that I just set up for this situation with a used filter. The fish was transferred from my 60 gallon community tank. The 60 gallon has been up and running for about 5 years.
4~The 60 gal. has a Sunsun canister and a Fluval HOB filter.
5~The 60 gal. currently has 4 angel fish (about 2.5 inches from mouth to tail) and 3 sterbai cories (adult about 1.75 inches)
6~I do a 50% water change once a week. I do not vacuum the gravel.
7- I’ve had the fish for about 8 months.
8~I have not added anything new to the tank.
9- I am feeding them Omega One flakes, bloodworms, pellets.

I have an angel fish in a community tank as well and from my experience they are "survivors" for lack of a better word, so I'm not surprised to see that it has survived a complete loss of fin and sickness for weeks now.

Does your hospital tank have good quality water conditions? That can go a long way for sick and stressed fish. Have you tried some sort of fin rot & body cure treatment that you can buy at your local pet store? Also, 4 angels in a 60 gallon tank might not mature well as they grow and age. I only have 1 angel in 20 gallons of water due to how territorial and aggressive they can be.

Back
Top Bottom