sick apistogramma agassizi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

almcloud

Aquarium Advice Freak
My female agassizi stopped eating and only hangs out hiding towards top or bottom of tank.
Didn't see any signs of ich or other unusual things on her body.
Its been about 2 days by now.
Any suggestions?

Most people are good with not answering questions without their own experiences with a certain fish.
What's your water parameters?

I am trying to find a nice specimen of these guys, can't though.

Koikid88 said:
Most people are good with not answering questions without their own experiences with a certain fish.
What's your water parameters?

I am trying to find a nice specimen of these guys, can't though.

PH 7.5 (LA tap water with Prime)
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10

Well the only cichlids I have are kribs rams and labs, so I cant tell you anything specific for the apisto.

Ich won't make it act lazy in it's early stage, you'll most likely notice things like flashing or scratching before being able to see the white spots.

2 days isn't all that long for a fish not to eat, but can be concerning if they usually have a healthy appetite.

Has it lost any colour? Breathing erratically?

Before you notice any tell tale signs of disease, try boiling a pea and mushing it up, try and get him to eat it tomorrow. If he does, see how he behaves for the next day or 2.
If he won't eat it, I'm going to throw it out there and say a possible parasite?
Could even just be stressed about something.
Hopefully someone else can help you out more, sorry!

Hi! I dont have experience with your breed of fish-just fish in general. Is she new or anyone else new in your tank? This will help rule in or out the possibility of something being introduced into your tank. Your water looks good so this isnt an issue. Unfortunately, her behavior is indicative of stress but what is causing it, im honestly not sure. An illness is possible but her symptoms are very vague & its difficult to treat a fish when you are not sure what you are treating. Is there any chance she is being stressed by her tankmates? Hopefully, someone with more experience with your breed of fish will have better suggestions!

Unfortunately both, my male and female Agassizi passed. Both with same symptoms, both recently purchased (2 weeks ago). Also purchased Electric Blue Ram female and Red Dwarf Gourami female (them seem to be okay for now, will monitor closely.
In the meantime I got a 5.5 Gal as a QT to introduce new fish in it a few weeks before moving them to big tank, that way I can observe closely behavior and potential illness. Also none of my existing fish can stress them out neither.
Thanks ALL for your suggestions.

jlk said:
Hi! I dont have experience with your breed of fish-just fish in general. Is she new or anyone else new in your tank? This will help rule in or out the possibility of something being introduced into your tank. Your water looks good so this isnt an issue. Unfortunately, her behavior is indicative of stress but what is causing it, im honestly not sure. An illness is possible but her symptoms are very vague & its difficult to treat a fish when you are not sure what you are treating. Is there any chance she is being stressed by her tankmates? Hopefully, someone with more experience with your breed of fish will have better suggestions!

Sometimes some fish do go up for air, but not all and not often (gouramis do and corries). Will add another bubble stone on right side of tank, have filter water falling and sponge filter bubbling, but both are on left side of the tank.

I am so sorry about your fish!!! :( As they were new & not qt'd, i have to suspect they were ill when you purchased them & the stress of the move & new tank was enough to lower their immune systems to allow them to fall ill. I am glad you plan on qt future new fish! Its the best way to keep your main tank safe from disease threats. I am sorry i could not be of more help!

jlk said:
I am so sorry about your fish!!! :( As they were new & not qt'd, i have to suspect they were ill when you purchased them & the stress of the move & new tank was enough to lower their immune systems to allow them to fall ill. I am glad you plan on qt future new fish! Its the best way to keep your main tank safe from disease threats. I am sorry i could not be of more help!

Thanks I appreciate it.
Already have QT up and running, got 7 Cardinal Tetras about 48 hrs ago and they eat and look healthy :)

Back
Top Bottom