sick bala shark!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coolkidthatlike

Aquarium Advice Activist
hi, i am watching my brothers fish when he is away, and he said to keep a close eye on one of his bala sharks, because he said that he had been acting drunk (not ich). well, today i noticed that his fins had red in them, instead of thier normal color, what could this be? What can treat it. Please help, i dont want my brothers fish to be lost while i am watching them.

Reddining of the skin, or red streaks in the fins is a Virus, Ulcers (Bacterial infection) Viruses can only be seen through microscopes - and its incurable. With a bacterial disease, use a anti-bacteria or anti-internal treatment. A prolonged SALT bath (3-5 g/litre for several days) will alliviate osmoregulatory stress in the case of severe ulceration.

Hope it gets better soon :mrgreen:

Sound like Septicemia to me:

"Fish may have reddening at fin bases, blood streaks throughout the fins and body, small hemorrhages around the eyes. Dull listless behavior and lack of appetite may also be present."

Recommended treatments are basically what azn said:

"Water conditions must be improved for all fish in the tank, regardless of how many fish are infected. Check your water. Treat with Kanacyn or Tetracycline as well as with a medicated food if the fish will eat. If parasites are suspected, all the fish in the tank should be treated with antiparasitic medication. Using salt to help restore osmotic balance might be helpful." (everything in quotes taken from http://www.fish-disease.com/diseases.htm )

Make sure you do a partial water change prior to medicating; check the water parameters to determine how much (no less then 20%/no more then 50% depending on your findings).

Back
Top Bottom