Sick Balloon Molly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jennie P

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I have tried to pinpoint what is happening to my ballon molly (female) but there is nothing to compare against what im seeing in my tank - which i have to add is really upsetting me.
I have taken a couple of pics in hope that i can gain a few answers and help my little fish...

POORLY_MOLLY_CROP.jpg

I have tried to answer the following questions as requested....

What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).
- Speckled Balloon Molly. Started out with a cloudy eye which then got worse, developed then to what looked like really big pink blisters which i can only say looks like its burst?? Leaving the fish as you can see on the image.

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.
We did a water test with a 6 in 1 strip test. Only thing that came up was NO3 (i think) and this suggested a 20% water change. I wondered if this was because i had Melafix (trying to help) in there?

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
30ltrs bio-orb, been setup for 8 months

4~What type of filtration are you using?
Not sure on this, other than the standard one that comes with the orb, which i change every 6-8 weeks.

We started with only 3 black mollys, then we bought 3 balloon mollys of which one gave birth the minute we had her in the tank (the fish in question -which is why im so sad at the prospect of losing her). We now have 5 adult mollys, 2 smaller ones and 5 babies (approx 12 weeks old) We recently gave away 6 to encourage a healthy tank.

I change the water every week (20%)

The tank currently has 2 artificial plants and 1 real plant which came with snails!!!! which we are trying to eradicate.

We feed the fish flakes and have done since day 1 ( feeding twice a day)

I do get a lot of pleasure from my fish and feel frustrated that i cant help her get better:( I would appreciate any advice anyone can offer. I just want her to get better.

Thank you, Jennie

Back
Top Bottom