Sick Betta Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bills61

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Background: I have had a male betta fish (I don't remember what kind) for about 8 months in a 5 gallon, heated, tank with a couple ghost shrimp and 2 snails. He is usually pretty active and swims throughout the tank. I have struggled treating what appears to be an incredibly aggressive form of fin rot. Ever since I got him, his fins have been degrading. I have tried everything to stop this. I have sanded down all possible sharp edges of the ornaments, used small amounts of aquarium salt, have done salt dips, used Furan-2 in the tank, have done 100% water changes and extensively cleaned the tank...nothing ever fixed it. Having said all this, I am here for a different reason.

For the last week to week and a half, my betta fish has been acting very sickly and lethargic. He either lays around at the bottom of the tank or rests on the pump out-port near the top. I hardly see him swimming around anymore. I did a 50% water change last week and added some salt, but he continued to act the same way. Two days ago, I checked the water conditions and it was 0 ammo but .5 nitrite. I immedietly changed the water, and have not seen elevated readings since. Nevertheless, he is still acting the same.

I had a feeling that this might be swim bladder disorder, and fasted him for the past two days. Today I fed him part of a cooked pea, which he gobbled up, but continued to act lethargic on the bottom or top of the tank. Occasionally, I'll poke him to make sure he is alive, and he'll swim about for 30 or so seconds. Usually when he does swim around, he makes these very spastic movements, before going to the top or bottom of the tank again.

Do you think this is a bacterial infection? Or a parasite? Or just swim bladder disorder? I would appreciate all the help I can get! Thank you.

Attached is a picture of the main spot he likes to lay down at.

Attachments

• IMG_20170429_224843674 (1).jpg
    IMG_20170429_224843674 (1).jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 96
Sad news. Unless you have added anything recently I'd count out parasites (hopefully). Bacterial infection possible since he already had fin rot. I guess swim bladder issues also possible - cause? bacterial?

The trick will be curing. I assume substrate is pretty clean / gets gravel vac'd?

How is the temperature in tank?

I do clean the gravel often. Temp is currently 82F

Tank looked good, couldn't see much detritus.

You could try lowering temp to 75 - 76 slowly and see if that helps. There has been discussion locally on raising/lowering temps, personally I find higher temps don't help, especially temp spikes where bacterial.

After that medicated feed.

Do you think I should grab medication? Or just let it be for a few days?

I'd go for medicated feed with antibiotics or metronidazole and try that. Did you repeat the furan 2 meds or one course?

I am having a similar issue! My Betta looks skinny, his stomach is sunken in. But he hasn't been inactive until the last couple weeks and he loves to lay by the filter.

Back
Top Bottom