Sick Clownfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaycapz

Aquarium Advice Regular
I created a thread in another part of the forum, hopefully the moderators will find and move it here. I did not realize there was a forum to discuss sick fish.

Heres the link to it:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f45/clownfish-fins-deteriorating-help-254162-2.html

The short of it, is that I lost a clownfish whose symptoms seem to match up with 100 different illness's. Not to go through it all again but to summarize...

I bought 2 clowns from petco 2 weeks ago. My tank just cycled, these were my first fish. All tank readings have been steady, no strange reactions or behaviors by the fish. Suddenly about 3-4 days ago, the smaller clown started acting strange. Swimming on his side near the top at night, breathing heavy, small area of his skin that looked like his scales came off, had a good appetite the whole way through, and had clamped top and bottom fins for about 2-3 days. Went to the fish store, bought melafix and fish died within the hour. He was in no way that bad of shape, yes he was probably on the way out, but that stuff put the nail in his coffin. There is more details in my other thread.

Now for my concern. Everyone throws brooklynella around as soon as they hear sick clownfish. The other fish in the tank was fine till yesterday, the melafix has made his behavior erratic. Hes been hiding, not liking the top of the water as I am sure the stuff is annoying him. I changed out the water 25% immediately after the fish passed, so I am sure i rose his stress level with all that i did yesterday. Are there any preventative measures, or sure fire ways to tell this guy will be ok? Should he be moved to a seperate tank. At this point probably not I am thinking. He is the only one in the tank.. now for whats in the tank.

26 Gallon Bow, with 20 lbs of live rock. 2 hermit crabs, and now the lonely clown.

Water was tested by LFS and they said all looked good. Nitrates were SLIGHTLY high, I saw this at home as well. They were at 20ppm maybe a little higher. Everything else 0, PH at 8-8.2.

How long should I wait before replacing the fish? I dont know if this **** thing was a parasite, fungal or bacterial.. or maybe just a fish wish a genetic defect. I really hate the fact there is no way to know what the hell happen, but i could really use some advice. I am pretty new to salt, and I am feeling really discouraged.

Also, like to add that I would like to know if stress coat or anything else might help to bring down the stress for this fish. I want to do right by this one, hearing from the LFS "your water looks right, you did nothing wrong", is not good enough.

Thanks,

Jason

Back
Top Bottom