Sick coral platy, but still mating?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ramoner

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi.

I have a dilemma about an obviously sick fish. It's a red coral platy with several brownish growths on its body. In some spots they look like they're growing from under the scales and others look like they're outside of them. Their are maybe 4 areas that seem to be affected: the head, under the dorsal fin, the caudal fin, and under the mouth. This has been going on for maybe 4-5 months, with no other fish being affected.

I was going to remove that one fish, but I just noticed there is a baby platy swimming around the bottom. I have 4 total: 2 females and 1 male and one baby (I think). The sick one is the male I believe. This would be the 2nd live, surviving platy baby since I got this group 7 months ago. Even though the male is pretty infected, it looks as if they are still mating, and all the other fish are doing well.

Is there a chance this fish just has weird benign growths, and I can leave it be? Or is it too sick and needs to be taken out? Right now I don't have a quarantine tank, but should I try that (space is very limited in my small apartment right now).

Any thoughts or advice would be great. Thanks!

15 gallon planted
Penn flax cascade 1200 filter w/ aqua clear biomax filter insert, maybe 75gph
DIY co2 generator
ADA Brighty K supplement
Glo 24 watt x 2 t5 lights
Mix of bloodworms and dry pellets
15-20% water change every 2 weeks with aloe and dechlorinator
Livestock:
8 neon tetra
4 red coral platys (and one baby now)
2 hybrid German rams
2 checkerboard cichlids
3 loachs
2 otos
8 harlequin rasbora
1 siamese algae eater
2 amano shrimp
Temp: 78
Ph: 6.2-6.6

Sent from my HTCONE using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Here's a pic

Sent from my HTCONE using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1439924866346.jpg
    1439924866346.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 142

Wow!
You got a lot of fish and a low maintenance schedule to not let this worry you IMO
Or have acted some how months ago!
What is the benefit of keeping this fish in your tank as opposed to removing it ?
It certainly should NOT be allowed to breed.

Is there little strings hang from the bumps

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So it not anchor worm. Is it lumpy .

So catch the fish with the net and feel it to see if it's fluid or hard like the rest of the fish.

The last thing I can think of is it being a tumor be don't worry none of the other fish shouldn't get with him having it. If you don't think it is a tumor look on the internet for other diseases that have the same symptoms. I have had a angelfish with a tumor that had lived for 4 years the only reason why he dead was because the tumor got very heavy when I weigh her she was 12 ozounes the other one I got the same day when I bought her weight 8 ozounes.so she was a bit heavier then her brother by 4 oz this was in a heavily planted tank which was 100gallons.

Back
Top Bottom