Sick Cory Cat! :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh wow! I had no idea I could make a QT tank with a bucket! :O Thanks so much! And no, I did not use soap on the plant. And as for the schools of cory catfish, wow... the worker at my lfs said two is the max for my tank if I had two platys and that any more would overstock it... I guess you can't trust anything at least some of the people say there.. If everything goes well, I will wait until my tank is completely clear of anything that could harm new fish and wait a while and get some more cats for my corys to school with (If I won't actually be overstocking my tank) Anyways, since I'm only 13 I will have to have my parents drive me to get a bucket tomorrow first thing in the morning. I hope Pepper makes it through the night. :( And yes, I was planning on getting my own test kit as soon as I could. Thank you SO much for all of your help! :)

-Khloe

Hope it works out. Yes, you have to make sure your tank is big enough for a school. The rule of thumb is one fish for each gallon tank size. Don't stick to this rule religiously though because it also depends on the kind of fish and how large they may grow. Not to mention, you have to keep in mind the gravel and plants and decor take up space and should be factored into stocking.

Sorry the store provided you with bum info. It is pretty common. Since I found this site, I ask all my questions here.

10g are too small for most Cories. They tend to thrive in groups of 6 or more and there isn't enough floor space.

The only Cories I recommend for 10g are pygmy species. Not dwarf species. Dwarf Cories still tend to get 2.5-3"

I would add extra Prime. Test the water and consider getting Cories into a bigger tank.

Also Cories need meat based foods as main diet. They aren't Algae eaters. They can eat Algae wafers, But worms and shrimp are best.

http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=271

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+1161+935&pcatid=935

I would suggest at least a 20 Long with soft sand and lots of live plants if you want a Cory tank.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's why we got 7 little Pygmy catfish since we only wanted a 10g for now. :) I thought dwarf and Pygmy meant the same thing with the catfish. I guess not.

They're so cute! They're in a 5g now but will be moved to a 10g very soon!

Unfortunately, I found Pepper this morning and he was not with us. :( I found him before we could make a QT tank, so i quickly removed him from the tank. I might be imagining it, but Alby does look a bit depressed this morning... :( Thank you to everyone who gave me advice and help, I appreciate it soo much. :)

I'm so sorry for your loss. I recently lost a dear cat and late last week my sweet male betta. I miss them both terribly.

Your other Cory probably is sad :(. I would do a 50% water change now if you can and maybe again in two days, to refresh the water.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I recently lost a dear cat and late last week my sweet male betta. I miss them both terribly.

Your other Cory probably is sad :(. I would do a 50% water change now if you can and maybe again in two days, to refresh the water.

Aw, I'm sorry :( I did a 50% water change after I took Pepper out, so I will be sure to do one again in two days. Thanks again :)

Aw, I'm sorry :( I did a 50% water change after I took Pepper out, so I will be sure to do one again in two days. Thanks again :)

He's going to need a friend. Once the tank is clean I'd get him some Otos. Corys and Otos are similar and will often school together. I'm so sorry. RIP Pepper.

Last edited:
He's going to need a friend. Once the tank is clean I'd get him some Otos. Corys and Otos are similar and will often school together. I'm so sorry. RIP Pepper.

Thank you for the suggestion, I will definitely look into Otos :) And thank you so much.

Thank you for the suggestion, I will definitely look into Otos :) And thank you so much.

You're welcome. Otos are very cute and little, so you could have a nice group in a 10 gallon. And they're excellent algae eaters and don't poop much.

10g are too small for most Cories. They tend to thrive in groups of 6 or more and there isn't enough floor space.

The only Cories I recommend for 10g are pygmy species. Not dwarf species. Dwarf Cories still tend to get 2.5-3"

I would add extra Prime. Test the water and consider getting Cories into a bigger tank.

Also Cories need meat based foods as main diet. They aren't Algae eaters. They can eat Algae wafers, But worms and shrimp are best.

http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=271

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+1161+935&pcatid=935

I would suggest at least a 20 Long with soft sand and lots of live plants if you want a Cory tank.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh... wow.. Guess I got wrong info again from the lfs... I'm not allowed to get any bigger of a tank, so what should I do with Alby? And wow, the worker said to feed the cats every other night with algae wafers because thats how they get all of their food.. I'm not going there anymore most likely. Thanks for all of your information. :)

Otocinclus is the full scientific name. Most people can't say it so when you say 'Oto' people know what you're talking about

Okay great! I'll definitely look into them once I get everything going again in my tank. Thanks again! :)

Okay great! I'll definitely look into them once I get everything going again in my tank. Thanks again! :)

You're welcome. I'm so sorry for poor Pepper :'( try to get some friends for your other Cory soon, we don't want him dying of a broken heart.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You're welcome. I'm so sorry for poor Pepper :'( try to get some friends for your other Cory soon, we don't want him dying of a broken heart.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks, :( yea my mom said we can try to go this week sometime.

Back
Top Bottom