Sick Cory Catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mufty

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and unfortunately am starting out with a sad post. I have four spotted Cory catfish in a ten gallon tank. I had one and added three with him about six months ago.

I was on vacation for about 9 days and came back to one of the catfish being sick. He looks thinner than the others and is spending most of the time at the bottom of the tank laying on his side. He was breathing very fast but now has begun to breath very slow. Every so often he will relocate or move his eyes. He has been this way almost 24 hours.

The other catfish look perfectly fine. I fed them with a ten day tablet while I was gone and I had family come in to check a few days ago and they seemed to be fine then. I am wondering if he did not eat and/or if the temperature in the tank is too high. It is 80 degrees since our air conditioner is broken. We have been putting ice cubes in zip lock bags in every so often. Even still the others are fine.

Any ideas on what this could be or how I can help him?

Thanks very much!

joel618 said:
What are the water parameters? That feeder block may have everything thrown off.

I don't know for sure. I am not home to check it.

I tested the water and it was 0 for ammonia and about 7.2 for pH. He is still hanging on but hardly moving. The other catfish swim around him and nudge him but it is like he is paralyzed. :(

Any thoughts?

High nitrates and nitrites are what im worried about. I would do a 50% water change and maybe another in a couple days. See if it perks up some. Just make sure the water is about the same temp.

Yes unfortunately I do not have testing kits for those.

I will give it a try. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom