Sick/Dying Sea Star

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jarred Darque

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have one of these

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=578

This is the second one I have had, the first one disapeared after 2 days.
I have had this one for about 2 weeks, it has been acting fine, moving around the tank, looking great.

Now, it is looking to be deteriorating, one arm is almost all gone, another is about half gone.

Any ideas what might be causing this, and if it is reversible? if he can befixed?

In the majority of cases, these stars do not recover from what you are describing. Watch your water parameters closely for ammonia/nitrite spiking.

As for the causes, it is usually attibuted to bad handling and/or poor acclimation procedures. Even if you acclimated properly, there is no guarantee that all along the chain of custody, that others did.

I agree, these are stars that do not like to be exposed to air. How long had it been in the LFS before you bought it and the other one?

OK, I did not know aobut hte no air thing. That is possibly the issue then.

Um, they where both at the LFS when I bought the first oen, so this one was at the LFS about 2-3 weeks that I know of, maybe longer before I bought him.

There was a post about 2 months ago where a member amputated the sick parts, BUT, I never saw them respond as to how the critter fared.

I know the air thing is a debated subject but I believe that it is an important factor. I make sure the LFS does not expose him to air and I dont when I get home. I dont drip acclimate him even though I probably should but I add about a half cup of water every 20-30 mins. When the bag is 3/4 full I pour half out and continue adding. After 4 hrs of acclimating them I drop the bag quickly under and grab the star out and lift bag back up. By then most of the LFS water is gone. Discard the water that youn pull back up in the bag. Check out my gallery to see my stars.

I use to have one of these Fromias in each of my tanks but both died after about a month and a half from what you are describing. Try and search for the thread that roka64 mentions and amputate the arms. It's worth a shot since they are going to die, maybe it could save them.

Stars can regenerate their legs correct?

It has been afew more days now, and it does not look any worse, is becoming active again, is all over the tank.

One concern though is that earlier today, he climbed the glass to the water line and stuck one of his arms out.

If they cant be exposed to air, what is up with this? Is he just stupid?

It`s OK if he does that. They are just searching for food. As long as the mouth area is not exposed. They wont go up more than they should. He`s doing OK.

Back
Top Bottom