Sick fish/what to do with tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jp1979

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Two days ago I added 2 Cobra guppies and a Cory to a tank that just my Betta was happily living in. The next morning (10 hours later) I noticed that the Betta was harassing one of the guppies and that it's tail was disintegrating. I thought the Betta did it, so I took the Betta out until I could take the Guppies back. Later that day I noticed even more of the tail was missing and that the fish looked like it was going to die. I removed it only to notice the next morning that the other Guppy had the same issue. I figured it wasn't the Betta causing the problem and removed the guppy and put the Betta back. 2 hours later I heard a thud. The Betta had shot up and hit the lid and then slammed into the floor of the aquarium. He was dead. His face was noticeably white. Water temp. Was fine (76) and a water test reviewed only a slight spike in nitrates. Everything else was fine.
I know I should have quarantined the guppies, but I didn't. The big questions is, if they were sick did they affect the Betta? The Cory seems to be fine. Now what do I do? Break down the tank and clean? Is a water change all I need? I do know that next time I'm going to get fish from a small store or breeder. I saw how they came into the big box pet store and I can see why they weren't healthy. Any advice would be a huge help. Also if anyone knows of a place to get fish in Southern Maine let me know.

Back
Top Bottom