Sick Freshwater Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbimflyer

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi everyone I am very new to all of this, and decided to setup an aquarium for my son which has 2 basic small Goldfish(comets I guess)about 1 year old now... but I have had a few issues. Long story short we went on vacation for a week and I left the feedings to an auto fish feeder, not knowing any better I made sure that the feeder would give the fish more than enough food. Unfortunately it overfed them, and upon my return home I noticed very cloudy water, but the fish were swimming around as always.

After a closer look I saw that Priscilla seemed fine just bloated though, but Sharkey was bloated and had puffy eyes which wasn't normal. I immediately did a 75% water change, and put them back in their tank(10 gallon). Thats when I really noticed that Sharkey wasn't doing too well. So I went to the local petsmart and asked a bunch of questions, but didn't really get the help I was looking for. So I treated the fish according to what I thought the symptoms were... Tetracycline for a few days which seemed to bring his eyes back to normal, but I noticed he was still swwimming erratically in loops, and laying on his side at the bottom afterwards. So I did some more research and thought he met the symptoms for nitrate poisoning, I then treated him in a separate chamber of chlorophyll for a week. this seemed to be improving his swimming, but he still would spit out his food, and then we lost power for 2 hours so he had no aeration... this seemed to make him relapse so I put him back in the main tank which Priscilla was happy about. Sharkey continued to swim erratically, not eat, bang into things(including other fish) and lay at the bottom on his side, even though I tested the water and it was near perfect. Then a couple of days later as if that wasn't enough to try and rectify, my 3 year old put A&D cream in their tank while we were sleeping. I don't think it was in there long before we woke up and I removed them from the cloudy white water... but I don't know if any further damage was done as a result. Now while I am getting a "20" gallon prepared for them they are in a 1.5 gal with a small airstone which I have been treating with Green tea b/c I don't know what else to do for Sharkey. Priscilla still seems fine, and is eating normally, swimming but sticks right by Sharkey's side. Very sad... but I am really trying everything to save him, since it was my fault he got sick from the overfeeding. Please help if you can thanks.

Wow, your fish have been through a lot. Considering they keep bumping into things like that, I first thought maybe something parasitic. It's one of the symptoms for parasites. The pop eye was definitely bacterial, and one would need some manner of antibiotic for that.

Keep doing frequent water changes at least. Do you ever try using aquarium salt? Not table salt. You can find it at any pet store. If bloating and constipation are an issue, which now ALSO might be a factor, try dieting and feeding it some peas. Buy the peas frozen, not the canned kind. The skin is indigestible so peel that off first. Hen mush it up with your fingers and try that, but only when they look hungry. A fish can go a while without food.

It's probably a million and one things put together. Try something anti parasitic and antibacterial. Try aquarium salt. Change water and clean gravel with a siphon vacuum regularly. Feed only peas for a while to help with swim bladder irregularities and constipation.

Always, supervise little kids around aquariums. They know not what they do.

The 10 Gallon was very balanced before my son contaminated it. I was using EZ balance and aquarium salt inconjuntion with frequent water changes at about 20 percent. Also I was running a 10-30 Gallon filter b/c I know they pollute the water quicker than other fish. But Sharkey was still swimming erratic an a bit bended body, not eating peas or his flakes. But what I noticed is that sometimes he will straighten his body and swim straight like normal, but not for long periods of time. It almost does appear that he has some type of parasite, but from what? His own waste when I over fed them? The filter cartrige was Ofcourse very dirty when we got back from vac from all of the food and waste. But Priscilla is fine and swimming normal still. I am so confused now, I don't know if this green tea is going to help.

It sounds like the water quality issues caused by over feeding started it all. Gold fish produce a lot of waste and need LARGE tanks or ponds to grow and thrive. do you have a test kit to measure ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate? If not, you should get one. Liquid test kits are more accurate than test strips. Good luck.

I did test it and it was good prior to what my son put in there Ofcourse, but after that I had to dump the whole tank. Anyone know what I could try as a cure for parasites Sharkey might have? Or should I continue the green tea treatment?

Can you please post your exact numbers for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate & ph (what they are right now) and what your using to test? As Hholly mentioned, its likely the result of a water quality issue but having the A&D added in likely has not helped. I know this stuff is VERY oily and it has likely coated every surface in your tank including the filters and your fish's gills.

Can you please post your exact numbers for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate & ph (what they are right now) and what your using to test? As Hholly mentioned, its likely the result of a water quality issue but having the A&D added in likely has not helped. I know this stuff is VERY oily and it has likely coated every surface in your tank including the filters and your fish's gills.

I have already removed them from that main tank(10 gal) and dumped the water 100% a few days ago. They are temporarily in my 1.5 Gal until I setup my 20 Gal aquarium.

Cycling the 20 gallon... Should be ready by 2moro night, I hope this helps. Has anyone cured their fish with green tea? Does it really work?

I have used natural meds that have tea tree to great affect, especially on more fragile fish. But I never used straight up green tea before.

I have used natural meds that have tea tree to great affect, especially on more fragile fish. But I never used straight up green tea before.

Oh yeah, what were their symptoms? I have been putting green tea in the 1.5 Gal for the last few days, apparently it doesn't affect Priscilla, but Sharkey is still doing resting spells on his side at the bottom. What does the natural meds treat?

Tea tree oil (correctly called cajeput oil from the melaleuca tree family) is the main ingredient in Melafix/Pimafix. It honestly does not do much more than healthy water does.

Tea tree oil (correctly called cajeput oil from the melaleuca tree family) is the main ingredient in Melafix/Pimafix. It honestly does not do much more than healthy water does.

When I quarantine, it is only because I just got the new fish from a pet store. Sometimes it comes with ich, fungal infection, or some manner of bacterial rot. All I've ever believed in using was the aquarium salt, and tea tree. I have never had fish get worse from it.

On several occasions, I put nothing at all in the water, and the problem did not get better. I have noticed that it works, and that is all that is needed for me to not jump to a more harsh additive to the water.

When I quarantine, it is only because I just got the new fish from a pet store. Sometimes it comes with ich, fungal infection, or some manner of bacterial rot. All I've ever believed in using was the aquarium salt, and tea tree. I have never had fish get worse from it.

On several occasions, I put nothing at all in the water, and the problem did not get better. I have noticed that it works, and that is all that is needed for me to not jump to a more harsh additive to the water.

What kind of fish do u have?

Gourami, various tetra, a bristlenose pleco, cory fish, and more recently, rams. I don't do anything harsh, unless the basic stuff doesn't work. So far, I never had to use anything other than natural all the way. I have a 55 gallon planted tank, and a 10 gallon isolation tank.

Gourami, various tetra, a bristlenose pleco, cory fish, and more recently, rams. I don't do anything harsh, unless the basic stuff doesn't work. So far, I never had to use anything other than natural all the way. I have a 55 gallon planted tank, and a 10 gallon isolation tank.

Now after observing Sharkey's behavior in the new 20 gallon tank, I'm starting to think he's got some sort of swimbladder problem. The thing is I haven't seen him eat anything in a few weeks now... unless he's getting some kind of nutrients from whatever falls to the bottom. I also have tried to feed him peas before, in a separate little container I put him, but he would only suck in the bits of peas then immediately spit it out. :(
I'm thinking he will still not eat it, but wondering if I should just go ahead and try again anyway.

Did you smash up the peas? The pieces may be too big. I notice my fish do that if the piece is too big for them to munch up.

Yeah I mashed them up small, but he still spits out the little pieces. God knows how long ago he last ate something.

They can go a while without food. But still, it's not a good sign if there is no appetite. Did you try some thawed out frozen food like blood worms? I notice if my fish lose their appetite for all else, they still love to eat those.

They can go a while without food. But still, it's not a good sign if there is no appetite. Did you try some thawed out frozen food like blood worms? I notice if my fish lose their appetite for all else, they still love to eat those.

I suppose I could try, but I put him in a separate little container and he ignored the food I put in there... didn't even acknowledge it.

Back
Top Bottom