Sick ghost shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ASF07003

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey there. This morning I found one of a pair of ghost shrimp milky white in color and swimming upside down. I have a 20g high planted tank with guppies and an apple snail. Water parameters were: temp 76F, ph 6.8, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 20, and 0 chlorine. Took out the sickly one and performed a 25% water change. My guppies spawned fry over the past 3 months, so I have an adult pair (the matron looks like she's about to release a few more), 4 that are starting to show their tail colors (~12 wk old), 3 that are ~8wk old and 6 (1) month old fry. Everyone else seems happy, swimming well and not looking sick. I plan to do another water change in the next coupe of days. My plants all seem healthy; they receive root tabs every 8 wk and liquid fert biweekly. I treat my water with aquarium salt, water conditioners for the good bacteria and to remove the chloramines. Any other suggestions? I've lost over curious shrimp before during my water changes but this is the first time that one of them appeared ill. I don't want any impending doom to affect the fish in the tank.

Hey there. This morning I found one of a pair of ghost shrimp milky white in color and swimming upside down. I have a 20g high planted tank with guppies and an apple snail. Water parameters were: temp 76F, ph 6.8, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 20, and 0 chlorine. Took out the sickly one and performed a 25% water change. My guppies spawned fry over the past 3 months, so I have an adult pair (the matron looks like she's about to release a few more), 4 that are starting to show their tail colors (~12 wk old), 3 that are ~8wk old and 6 (1) month old fry. Everyone else seems happy, swimming well and not looking sick. I plan to do another water change in the next coupe of days. My plants all seem healthy; they receive root tabs every 8 wk and liquid fert biweekly. I treat my water with aquarium salt, water conditioners for the good bacteria and to remove the chloramines. Any other suggestions? I've lost over curious shrimp before during my water changes but this is the first time that one of them appeared ill. I don't want any impending doom to affect the fish in the tank.

Your fish should be fine as inverts and fish dont usually share illness. How long have you had the ghost?

They may be sensitive towards nitrates...... And/or high salt levels.

I've had this pair of ghost since mid June. They were both about 3/4 inch long when I got them. They were the first additions to the tank after cycling and adding some plant life. I got the tank new in early may and let it cycle before adding plants (~2 wk later), then the inverts after almost 6 wk. I'll do another water change and check on the nitrate levels. Does aquarium salt affect ghost shrimp?

I've had this pair of ghost since mid June. They were both about 3/4 inch long when I got them. They were the first additions to the tank after cycling and adding some plant life. I got the tank new in early may and let it cycle before adding plants (~2 wk later), then the inverts after almost 6 wk. I'll do another water change and check on the nitrate levels. Does aquarium salt affect ghost shrimp?

Yes! Dont use aquarium salt! They may be getting old as well.

Back
Top Bottom