Sick giant danio??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

darrenw

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi their, I was wondering if someone could help me as after some advice I think my danio is sick he's struggling to swim (tail heavy), nose dives in to plants etc sits at the bottom of the tank like shaking and is hiding in cave and not eating. he's been like this for 3 days now. some info on tank are him, female g-danio, 1 rainbow fish, 7 zebra danios, 12 neon tetras, 5 corrys, 3 small guppy's.

had the danios since January, last addition was the guppys and 3 corrys 3/4 weeks ago.

thank you in advance

He may have been injured, and damaged the swim bladder. It's possible he banged into something in the tank, or even the other danio, possibly, may have hit him too hard in the wrong place. They are active, fast moving fish, so a hit in the wrong place is possible.

Swim bladder problems may have several causes, constipation being one. If he would eat, cooked, skinned peas are often used to help fix constipation, which can put pressure on the swim bladder. If it is constipation, and it can be remedied, often the bladder issue is also resolved.

Peas won't help if he won't eat. Hiding is often a sign the fish feels very ill and is trying to avoid being seen in a vulnerable state. Shaking is not something I've ever seen, but it does not sound good.

If he continues like this, euthanasia might be the kindest thing. I know that's not what anyone wants to hear, but if he can't eat,can't swim, and is shaking and hiding, he is already suffering, and he'll slowly starve. You can save him from that at least.

Back
Top Bottom