Sick Goldfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Namar

Aquarium Advice Regular
Been dealing with water conditions not as clean as I like since switching over to goldfish from tropical. Woke up this morning to find some weird looking white film on a couple of my fish. Anyone have an idea what this is?

I did a 50% water change on Sat and gonna do another today as well as prince my filter media.

Sorry for the blurry pics but they won't sit still and I have to run out.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1395853210855.jpg
    1395853210855.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 82
  • 1395853223913.jpg
    1395853223913.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 72
Hi! Can you please provide some more information so we can better help? Tank size? Exact numbers for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph? Water change schedule? How long you have had them? Any other details that may be helpful on their history? Thanks!

Orandas often have a build up of protective mucus in the fleshy head growth (wen). I can't tell from the pics if they have it on the body, but excessive slime production can be an indication of poor water quality (especially a sudden change in pH or rise in ammonia), or an ektoparasite infection.

IMO, a good.starter is always the good old salt dip..... 15 to 25 g/L for 15 to 20 minutes. This will normally rid the fish of skin flukes, chilodonella and possibly trichodina (although potasssium permanganate is better for tricho)

The red headed white fish appears to have somewhat sunken eyes which is often a sign of internal problems, organ failure, digestive disease or possibly fish tuberculosis.

Hey guys thanks for responding. A day after I posted this I asked an older gentleman at the LFS about this and he suggested it was most likely pH got too low. I have a test kit but didn't bother testing when I got home. The water had this murky look to it even after a big change so I did another big change without testing. Fish all seem good now, the white film is gone and the water is much clearer.

What I did to resolve the issue: used Seachem pH neutraliser (supposedly keeps a pH balance around 7), got proper goldfish pellets (no more messy flakes or too large pellets), and added an extra layer of finer filtration pad into the canister.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom