sick guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
you said
the last 4 digits on the bottles are 0806
that was your reply when i asked about date code on bottles thats why i replied to you they were out of date
now you say the dates are between 05/07 and 10/07 so i dont know what numbers you was looking at previous
anyway this does mean they ok till may 10 and october 10 your nitrite will be ok for 1 more year that lasts 4years from date code
i still dont understand what test you did to get 5.0 i am assuming PH and the 20 result was nitrate so the ammonia and nitrite was 0ppm ?
well like you said just keep the meds going when completed put your carbon back in to clear meds out
it's a shame you have lost fish
i hope all the meds work and no more fish die

there are 2 sets of numbers in a line - the lot number at the top of the bottle and another set of numbers across the bottom. the numbers with the date (the lot numbers) where the numbers i SHOULD have read however i just presumed you meant the numbers at the bottom of the bottle (don't know what these numbers are.
each bottle has different lot numbers - some lot numbers end in 0507 some end in 1007 so i know what bottles are out at what time.
when i read abou tthe api test kit i retested my nitrates in both my populated tanks (1 tank is running fine the other is my problem tank) my other tank which is fine showed a reading of 20 nitrates which previously was 0 nitrates because basically i never shook my test bottle enough and my problem tank (although well planted) showed a reading of 5 nitrates so i do have nitrates in my tanks (previously i thought i had 0 nitrates).

nitrates are fine upto 40ppm
planted tanks will have less nitrates than a tank without live plants
some planted tanks have none depending how many plants are in aquarium
and also in most homes nitrates are coming straight from your tap water source
just follow that API freshwater master test link instructions you pasted
remember 3mins bottle number 2 NITRATE shaking before adding it
then you will get a true reading

I would find a med for that fin and mouth problem. :( Are you guys able to get Melafix and Pimafix across the pond? I like them because they actually work, and will not kill your bacterial filter, so you won't have to go thru a cycle again.

dkpate
i can get melafix and pimafix here where i am so i would imagine robbie90 can also get it
by him as these large pet at home lfs stores generally set up in most town/city's, worldwide
but if he can't get none locally he could try ebay or if he wanted i would post it off to him if he got stuck

Will definately invest in a bottle as there are a couple of 'pets at home stores' by where i am. it's good that it's been recommended too.
Well would you believe it i have just done the last treatment for my tank and all remaining guppies seem fine - except now for my siamese fighter! gutted as i thought i would see the last of my ill fish but whatever infection/bacteria it is still seems to be going around my tank! i've put him in a birthing tank and just watch him now. He's totally fine, eating and swimming but i've noticed a shadow on his fins and it's slowly crept up and up and his tails are deteriorating as it goes and i don't know what to do to help him now i've finished treatment.
tomorrow i've been advised not to do a water change and to just put the carbon back in my filter and then remove it after a week and THEN do a water change... what do you guys think? im tempted to do daily changes but was advised not too as it could stress the fish in their already weakened state...

Ok so one thing no one else caught, sometimes medicating your tank can have adverse effects on the bacteria as well. Your tank could have been cycled but doing all the medicating could have killed off a vast majority of them. Also medicating is tough on some species of fish. Doing meds for different things back to back can be taking it's toll. Especially with your betta. My suggestion, use some activated carbon in your filter and start doing more water changes to get the meds out of there. If next time you need to medicate, try doing it at half dose for a longer period of time. Less stress on the fish, any inverts and the bacteria.

well i got the primafix and melafix and took out my betta (he's got really bad over night) and im treating him seperately. now at the moment he's in a bucket with 7.5 litres of water untill i can shop around for a small tank for him tomorrow with filtration etc but will keep oxygenating the water with jugs etc just pouring the water back in. i kept 4 litres of tank water and 3.5 litres of fresh treated water and then treated with the above medication. my main tank - everybody seems ok so i'm going to put the carbon in and will do daily water changes of 15% for the week..... no-more treatments for them.

Use half doses for bettas. :) Remember, bettas don't need as oxygenated water as most other fish, since they also take water from the surface.

ah wel my little fighter died and i've lost 1 more guppy since but i gotta say it's a vast improvement from the last week!!!!
hopefully tho that'll be it as everyone else looks 100% fine (touch wood i haven't spoke too soon). the carbon is in and i did my 1st water change re-adding salt to the level of 0.1% as is already in the tank.
tested the levels in the tanks and they where fine. ammonia and nitrite where 0 and nitrate which was 5.0.
i've gotta say i have never thought of half dosing a tank - i thought it wouldn't work but i'll definately remember that for next time if i get an outbreak and have to dose my tank a second time... although with everything added i hope i'll never have to go through this ever again - it's heartbreakin watchin them all die and feelin pretty helpless.... this site has been really really amazin though for info. cheers guys.
thanks for all your advice guys

Awww, sorry to hear about your little betta. :( It's never fun to lose a pet.

Yes, with tetras and bettas, only use 1/2 doses when treating. :)

would you use half doses but treat for double the time or just use half doses and treat for same amount of time?
fingers crossed that'll be the last that die now... i have to say tho they are looking alot healthier! just little things im noticing in them - the platties have their top fin up and everyone seem to be using the side fins and every now and again i used to notice the odd rapid breathing here and there but thats all gone and everyone is flappin as normal! just little stuff i've learn't to look out for since this outbreak... feel abit guilty tho as maybe due to my own ignorance i should've known this stuff.... but it's my 1st aquarium and it's all learning so at least i'll be able to prevent it next time.

I went through the same thing when I brought home the rasboras. I lost 5 of the 7 before I figured out what was going on. :(

ROFL @ "everyone is flappin as normal!" LOL, that REALLY made me giggle!

Same amount of time for treatment. :)

yeah everyone seems to be fine now. nobody looks ill everyone is good and having babies! normally i'd seperate the babies but i've just let nature take it's course... don't want to cause any more stress to them in their fragile state... just absolutely happy that nightmare is over!

Unfortunately i have another problem now.... i noticed a baby guppy with a slit tail (2 slits actually). Now i have read up on this and whilst it is a sign of bacterial infection it can also be absolutely nothing but upon taking a closer look in the tank i noticed 2 other guppies with splits in their tails which i know have only happened today (looks like someone has cut their tails with scissors).
I was tempted to leave them but after the last time i had guppies with split tails i thought i can't ignore this so i did a 15% water change and im treating with melafix and primafix... i already have salt in the water (0.1%) but im reluctant to raise the level as i have a plec, clown loach and catfish in there and i believe they don't like salt.... any further recommendations would be appreciated. cheers.

Unfortunately i have another problem now.... i noticed a baby guppy with a slit tail (2 slits actually). Now i have read up on this and whilst it is a sign of bacterial infection it can also be absolutely nothing but upon taking a closer look in the tank i noticed 2 other guppies with splits in their tails which i know have only happened today (looks like someone has cut their tails with scissors).
I was tempted to leave them but after the last time i had guppies with split tails i thought i can't ignore this so i did a 15% water change and im treating with melafix and primafix... i already have salt in the water (0.1%) but im reluctant to raise the level as i have a plec, clown loach and catfish in there and i believe they don't like salt.... any further recommendations would be appreciated. cheers.

I've heard that some fry can be born with defects and stuff. Do the adult guppies seem fine? If so, you might just want to cull the bad ones, or put them in something else to try medicating.

Other than the "Slit", can you see if fins look as if they are in bad shape?
I notice you wrote that you do 15% water Changes? Is that weekly? 15% isn't much, I do 40-50% Weekly.

it started with a baby with a slit tail but the other 2 guppies where adults. well woke up today and all seem to be none worse and all are absolutely fine except for the same slits so im hoping there is a good chance that it isn't a bacterial problem.
it is only the tails that have that 1 slit - everyone looks fine.
i have 2 filters (external ehiem 2217 and built in juwel filter) and read that 15% - 20% weekly changes where sufficient but will up my changes if need be.
another question tho, is it worth having 2 filters or is it just sufficient to have 1? my juwel filter is a bit loose so considering taking it out and just having my external filter on but if it's better to have 2 i'll leave it be.
cheers for info everyone.

Back
Top Bottom