Sick guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tali931

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 20 gallon guppy tank.2 males 4 females and about ten fry. The female guppies look like they are getting flesh eating disease on their sides. I have this tank set up for about a month but used cycled water from one of my other healthy tanks to speed up the cycle. I use an aqua clear 30 . The temp is at78 degrees , ammonia 0, nitrite 0 and nitrate below 5, ph 7.5. I've tried keeping guppies few times over the last few years and after about a month this always happens. I have no problems with any of my other tanks but for some reason I can't keep guppies.. What am I doing wrong? Please help!

Not the best pic but that's what the female looks like..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 76
I have a 20 gallon guppy tank.2 males 4 females and about ten fry. The female guppies look like they are getting flesh eating disease on their sides. I have this tank set up for about a month but used cycled water from one of my other healthy tanks to speed up the cycle. I use an aqua clear 30 . The temp is at78 degrees , ammonia 0, nitrite 0 and nitrate below 5, ph 7.5. I've tried keeping guppies few times over the last few years and after about a month this always happens. I have no problems with any of my other tanks but for some reason I can't keep guppies.. What am I doing wrong? Please help!

Not too sure what the prob is but... Old water won't help cycle your tank.

Cycling 45 Gallon. ???

Using water and gravel or filter media from an established tank does help to establish a tank..Anyways lost a guppy bout an hour ago and the other females are looking pretty rough:(

The place I got them at is a very small local ma and pa pet store which I have been getting fish from for the last ten years so I don't think that's it. I'm down to one female she is separated now so the two healthy boys who came from the same place don't hump her to death. Don't know what else to do. Lost 3 females since last night. Don't get it.. Why are the males and fry not getting sick yet I lost 5 females in one month?

I'm not saying all your sources stock are genetically weak but maybe the guppies are. If your only loosing females at about the same age and size then I think that says something. A lot of show guppies are bred to throw the best males due to the coloring. To get more males breeders want females that will drop large batches of fry in hopes of a couple good males with desired traits. This sometimes leads to poor female genetics in the breeding programs.

And good on you for supporting the ma and pa shop! Everyone should source local when possible.

That makes sense .. Thanks for the reply think I'm just gonna stick to non guppy fish if these guys die:(

Might be where the local shop gets them from. Try another shop. Guppies aren't as hardy as they used to be.

Thanks for the advice.. I got about 50 fry left and two beautiful males.. Will just see what happens before I add anything else to it. Ideally i would keep my two males and 6 ladies but I'm starting to thing my males are too sexually agressive for just 6 females

RE: guppy problems

It is very true that inbreeding reduces a fishes immune response and results in defects, namely cuved spine. I believe your problem was either fungal (from dirty water, usually saporgelia) or flexibacter columnaris (bacterial, very leathal, has nothing to do with dirty water) The way to tell the diffrence is, fllxibacterium eat at the fishes skin itself, and resluts in brownish dead areas, while fungus mainly attacks the fins and grows on the skin but does not eat it.
Treatment for this is One of 4 gram negative antibiotics that are the most powerful, Terramycin (oxytetracycline) Maracyn 2 (minocycline) or Kanamacyin, tho triple sulfa antibiotic should work as well. Fungus often goes hand in hand with flexibacterium infections, so you can combiine a anti-fungal product like methylene blue or primafix or Furan with your antibiotics. Fugus itself is also leathal, and is the result of poor water quality. Flexibacterium do not present itself in a "dirty" tank, it is opportunistic aerobic (breathes air) bacterium that is very contaigious. I reccomend giving the kanamycin/nitrofurazone or Minocycline/primafix or Triple sulfa or Terramycin/methylene blue a try in the future (like if you see alot of fry clamped and dying) They are hard to tell apart, and have completely diffrent treatments, raise temperature to kill fungus and lower temperature to slow flexibacterium. A good amount of salt will help a great deal, 2TBSP per 5 gallons during treatment. (1x)
Inbreeding guppies can only go well for a few generations (about 1 year) before you must aquire new bloodline. Guppy farms start with "Breeder seed fish" and colony breed them for a couple generations, then they mix them together and get lots of diffrent colors, then after that they throw them into a pond where they all breed together and become wild lookin and then they are sold as "feeder" guppies that resemble the wild guppy (have some) Any good fish breeding program will need new blood. It can be of the same variety but from a diffrent source, as in fancy goldfish, or it can be by combining two or three diffrent varieties to get a pretty hybrid, but eventually, fish that constanly inbreed will die.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, it was very helpful. There was zero fin rot even after death their tails and fins looked very good and healthy. The water was very good quality and a little salt was present aswell. The females that died looked like sides of their bodies were peeled with a potato peeler.. Kinda like something was eating their flesh..I'm treating the tank with seachem polyguard .. Hope that helps..so far so good no more fish have died and the fry seem to be doing good.fingers crossed!!

Lost my last female last night.. Only babies and boys left.. So I'm assuming if it was a disease or poor water quality wouldn't the babies die first? Going to try to find a different pet shop for females

Back
Top Bottom