Sick julius cory catfish. Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AC-X2

Aquarium Advice Freak
One of my Julius corys hasn't been looking normal lately. He or she (I have no idea which it is, but I'll just call it a he fish) has turned very white, and has not been near as perky as normal. He started being this way after I redid the tank, but all I noticed for awhile was the white color. All the other fish are just fine, and my two other corys are bouncing off the wall, while this guy just sits in the corner. If I tap the glass, he just ignores it, while the other cats start acting like its the end of the world. Right now he is swimming around, but earlier he was motionless and breathing fast with droopy fins.

I looked online and couldn't find any diagnosis. Any help or I.D of what's wrong would be appreciated!

Well a bit more info would help tremendously. First how long has your tank been set up? What size is it and who all lives in it? Do you have a liquid test kit that checks ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate? If so, please test your water and post your readings. How long have you had this particular cory?

Well a bit more info would help tremendously. First how long has your tank been set up? What size is it and who all lives in it? Do you have a liquid test kit that checks ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate? If so, please test your water and post your readings. How long have you had this particular cory?

I've had this particular setup for about a month, but the filter has been running on it before I did the redo so I guess you could say its been up for about 6 months. It's a 20 gallon tall, and the stock is:
Gold gourami
3 fancy/cobra male guppies
6 neon tetras
and 3 total Cory cats, including the sick one

I do not have a test kit, I know I know I need to get one. I had the water tested in a pet shop a few days after I completed the redo and everything was fine.

I've had this Cory and all my others for about 5 months. It didn't alway look this way, I can post a pic if that'd help.

Thanks!

A picture can always help.

Do you know if the shop tested with strips? If they used a liquid kit, did they tell you the exact numbers for your parameters?

A picture can always help.

Do you know if the shop tested with strips? If they used a liquid kit, did they tell you the exact numbers for your parameters?

I think they used strips, but she said "everything looks good"

image-3903675538.jpg

Here is a pic

I'm not seeing anything on the fish that indicates what the problem is, but it definitely isn't looking good.

My problem with having the store test your water is that most times the use strips which are extremely inaccurate. Based on the fact that I can't see any visible signs of illness in your pic, I am first going to suspect water quality. How often and how much water do you change?

I'm not seeing anything on the fish that indicates what the problem is, but it definitely isn't looking good.

My problem with having the store test your water is that most times the use strips which are extremely inaccurate. Based on the fact that I can't see any visible signs of illness in your pic, I am first going to suspect water quality. How often and how much water do you change?

I usually do a %25 water change monthly. But all my other fishes are just fine, wouldn't water quality affect them too?

Thanks!

I usually do a %25 water change monthly. But all my other fishes are just fine, wouldn't water quality affect them too?

Thanks!

I just had a cory pass away this morning and tested with my liquid kit and i believe my nitrates were too high. Sometimes not all fish will show signs of sickness with water quality problems but i would suggest a nice 25 percent water change asap and then another one in a couple days because once a month isnt sufficient. And do ur best to get a liquid test kit i know they're expensive but they last and are so important for knowing your tank parameters. If you order an api master kit from amazon they are cheaper. Hope he ends up okay!

I just had a cory pass away this morning and tested with my liquid kit and i believe my nitrates were too high. Sometimes not all fish will show signs of sickness with water quality problems but i would suggest a nice 25 percent water change asap and then another one in a couple days because once a month isnt sufficient. And do ur best to get a liquid test kit i know they're expensive but they last and are so important for knowing your tank parameters. If you order an api master kit from amazon they are cheaper. Hope he ends up okay!

All right, I'm doing a water change right now. It was about time any way. Thanks for that info about the kit on amazon.

All right, I'm doing a water change right now. It was about time any way. Thanks for that info about the kit on amazon.

No problem. Just remember water changes are your best friend. I do 25% weekly and i usually mix some hot water into my bucket with the cold so the temperature is around the range they like. Obviously add some dechlorinator to every new batch of water and youll be good to go. Itll keep your nitrates down and your fish healthier. Good luck!

No problem. Just remember water changes are your best friend. I do 25% weekly and i usually mix some hot water into my bucket with the cold so the temperature is around the range they like. Obviously add some dechlorinator to every new batch of water and youll be good to go. Itll keep your nitrates down and your fish healthier. Good luck!

Thanks!

It's very likely that this particular fish is suffering from something in the water. If he is weaker than the others, he will be the first to show signs.

Proper water changes should be done every week. Most will do 50% per week, during which they use a gravel vacuum to clean up any remnants of uneaten food and fish waste. You will need to match your tap water as close as you can, by touch, to the temperature in your tank. Be sure to dechlorinate the water before adding it to the tank. If you start doing regular maintenance on your tank you may be able to save this fish, and certainly prevent a lost of health issues in your others.

I did a WC today and will do one again in a few days. I'll keep y'all posted on the little guys stats.

BTW, how do you tell if a Cory cat is male or female?

He's not looking at all good right now. He's leaning on a rock and just looking terrible ;(

It's over for him, he's laying on his side looking like death. I'm just gonna flush him, I don't wanna infect the other fish. ;(

It's over for him, he's laying on his side looking like death. I'm just gonna flush him, I don't wanna infect the other fish. ;(

I'm sorry to hear you are loosing a fish, but you should never flush a live fish. There are much more humane ways to euthanize a sick fish. There is a sticky on euthanasia in the sick fish forum that gives quite a few options. I usually use the clove oil method or the temperature shock method.

I'm sorry to hear you are loosing a fish, but you should never flush a live fish. There are much more humane ways to euthanize a sick fish. There is a sticky on euthanasia in the sick fish forum that gives quite a few options. I usually use the clove oil method or the temperature shock method.

Oh, I didn't know that. I had no idea there were other ways to euthanize a fish. I'm glad I had somewhere to be before I flushed him alive. He's still alive right now but I'm not sure for how much longer. Poor little guy, I love my corys ;(

Oh, I didn't know that. I had no idea there were other ways to euthanize a fish. I'm glad I had somewhere to be before I flushed him alive. He's still alive right now but I'm not sure for how much longer. Poor little guy, I love my corys ;(

Yeah, cories are awesome. And euthanizing him is a good idea since he might get the others sick. Just find a better method that you are comfortable with. Flushing doesn't kill a fish immediately and they end up dying a slow death from exposure to chlorine and waste products in the sewage system. Not a good way to go.

Yeah, cories are awesome. And euthanizing him is a good idea since he might get the others sick. Just find a better method that you are comfortable with. Flushing doesn't kill a fish immediately and they end up dying a slow death from exposure to chlorine and waste products in the sewage system. Not a good way to go.

I agree. I'll do a water change tomorrow and see how he looks after that. If its still the same I'll find a humane way to euthanize him.
I hate all this ;(

I can't decide what to do. Some of the time he swims around a bit, but the rest of the time he just lays on the subs looking limp and lifeless. Any advice here?

Back
Top Bottom